[0.17.23] - Bots from opposite player prioritize my tasks

Bugs that are actually features.
Pawz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.17.23] - Bots from opposite player prioritize my tasks

Post by Pawz »

This is one that gets old pretty fast.

If you both have a roboport + construction bots and are both standing within range of a task, the *other* player's bots will be the ones to do the task, even if that player is further away.

So if you cut the smeltery and the other player is in range, all their bots pick up the stuff first, even if you're standing right next to it.
------------------------------------
Making Sniper Turrets Balanced Again aka Run Run the Swarm is Coming (Swarmageddon)
How it Should Have Started - A less 'cheaty' quick start (You won't want to play w/o this anymore)
No Wall Repair Less Suiciding

Jelmergu
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.17.23] - Bots from opposite player prioritize my tasks

Post by Jelmergu »

I suspect this one is going to go to not a bug quite fast, the robots don't look at 'i was placed by this player, so i should be build by this player'. The robots only look at 'can i fullfill this task, and is nobody else doing so'. I am taking a wild guess here and say that the other player is one that joined the server before you, which will make him apear before you in the players table, which is probably being looped over to check for robots that are idle, or the other player had a roboport before you, giving pretty much the same result.

Though it might bother you that the robots don't take way of 'i take less time than you, so i should go first' and instead go 'first come, first serve', the developers probably won't be fixing it, as that would mean that for every ghost placed, there have to be at least 2 loops to be done, one to check the distance to the ghost for each player, and one to check which player actually is closest

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

It's not so much about timing as who gets the deconstructed materials. If you do a cut/paste on something you put down, you want the materials to go to you so that you can paste them again where they go. If you have to wait for someone else's bots to fly across the map.... there's no reason it should be doing that when your bots are free and RIGHT THERE available for the job.

This happens to both of us quite often where each other's bots will do tasks we give them. It seems to use each other's more often than our own even.

An easy solution would be for the game to BEGIN checking one's own bots for availability when you put down a task. I'm pretty sure it used to be this way. I used to be sure and only deconstruct things a chunk at a time being careful to only decon as many things as I had bots for otherwise the remainder would be assigned to base bots far away, which I HATE. Because it would be far, far more efficient to send my bots out twice when I am standing right there, than to wait for base bots a mile away to make their way to the decon site. Especially when they will only grab my stuff I want in my inventory and run off with it!

Somewhat related to this is the problem of bots assigned to my perimeter for repairs "helping" deconstruct things they shouldn't. It would be really, REALLY nice if we had more control over the scope bots have in what they are assigned for.

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

Recon777 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:11 am
It's not so much about timing as who gets the deconstructed materials. If you do a cut/paste on something you put down, you want the materials to go to you so that you can paste them again where they go. If you have to wait for someone else's bots to fly across the map.... there's no reason it should be doing that when your bots are free and RIGHT THERE available for the job.
> when your bots are free and RIGHT THERE available for the job.
That's the key part. Each personal roboport [mk2] can support 25 bots. In other words, 25 jobs. Go beyond that and the main network you're in takes over the rest.
If you're using mk1 ports, it's even harder as those can only support 10 bots apiece.

If you want to cut/paste/move/build/whatever, make sure:
- Your personal construction zone covers the entire area you're working in.
- The number of jobs you're going to create doesn't exceed the number of bots you can support.
- You actually have enough bots in your personal inventory to cover the above condition.

Fail either of those conditions and bots from the main network may get the job. (They may not if they can't fulfill it, but if they can they'll get it regardless of how long or how inefficient it'll be.)

Now, I'm not saying there isn't a bug here, it's possible something's changed in the last few experimental versions, and the above conditions aren't having the desired effect, but, historically, this is the behavior I've observed for a long time.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

MasterBuilder wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:09 am
Recon777 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:11 am
> when your bots are free and RIGHT THERE available for the job.
That's the key part. Each personal roboport [mk2] can support 25 bots. In other words, 25 jobs. Go beyond that and the main network you're in takes over the rest.
If you're using mk1 ports, it's even harder as those can only support 10 bots apiece.

If you want to cut/paste/move/build/whatever, make sure:
- Your personal construction zone covers the entire area you're working in.
- The number of jobs you're going to create doesn't exceed the number of bots you can support.
- You actually have enough bots in your personal inventory to cover the above condition.

Fail either of those conditions and bots from the main network may get the job. (They may not if they can't fulfill it, but if they can they'll get it regardless of how long or how inefficient it'll be.)

Now, I'm not saying there isn't a bug here, it's possible something's changed in the last few experimental versions, and the above conditions aren't having the desired effect, but, historically, this is the behavior I've observed for a long time.
No no, that's not the situation at all. We are using this mod, which starts you off with 100 speedy bots and a personal roboport that can wield them all. This has nothing to do with not having enough personal roboport space. What we are saying, again, is that if you are standing right next to a thing you want to cut/paste, and you deconstruct it... the OTHER person's bots will fly across the map to pick up the stuff. And YOUR bots will just sit there in your suit like idiots doing nothing. THAT is not how the game should function, clearly.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Jelmergu wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:42 pm
I suspect this one is going to go to not a bug quite fast, the robots don't look at 'i was placed by this player, so i should be build by this player'. The robots only look at 'can i fullfill this task, and is nobody else doing so'. I am taking a wild guess here and say that the other player is one that joined the server before you, which will make him apear before you in the players table, which is probably being looped over to check for robots that are idle, or the other player had a roboport before you, giving pretty much the same result.

Though it might bother you that the robots don't take way of 'i take less time than you, so i should go first' and instead go 'first come, first serve', the developers probably won't be fixing it, as that would mean that for every ghost placed, there have to be at least 2 loops to be done, one to check the distance to the ghost for each player, and one to check which player actually is closest
Correct.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Not a bug”