[0.17.14] copy-paste from assembler to requester multiplication

Bugs that are actually features.
Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.17.14] copy-paste from assembler to requester multiplication

Post by Boogieman14 »

When copy-pasting from an assembler to a requester chest, the amount gets multiplied by 45. Not sure if this is actually a bug, but it seems like a rather weird and excessively high number. The setting "Set logistic request count to 1" doesn't affect this.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.14] copy-paste from assembler to requester multiplication

Post by TruePikachu »

What is the recipe in the assembler, and what modules does it have?

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Seems to occur with any recipe (although with some of the higher amount recipes, it does appear capped: i think the heat exchanger, which requires 100 copper plates, got capped at 700ish). This is with an assembler 2, no modules.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

And you aren't running any mods that would affect assembler speed?

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

No mods, I've been around long enough to know to mention that.

It does appear to not be entirely consistent though:

Results in:

Which is multiplied by 4.5 (with the 22.5 chopped to 22)

However:

Results in:

tehfreek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by tehfreek »

The specs say that the request should be set to enough materials to craft for 30s, and testing here confirms this. With a 0.5s crafting time and a crafting speed of 0.75 this means that 45 times the input will be requested. Are you saying that you're seeing this with recipes with a longer crafting time?

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by invisus »

tehfreek wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:01 am
The specs say that the request should be set to enough materials to craft for 30s, and testing here confirms this. With a 0.5s crafting time and a crafting speed of 0.75 this means that 45 times the input will be requested. Are you saying that you're seeing this with recipes with a longer crafting time?
That certainly makes a lot of sense. I'd thought I remember someone suggesting that the amount it requested when pasted like this, was enough for two craft cycles. But for something like inserters with such a short craft time this doesn't make sense, so I went digging...

Sure enough. The Requester Chest wiki article states:
By using SHIFT + Right mouse button and SHIFT + Left mouse button to copy-paste a recipe from an assembling machine to a requester chest, the requester chest is automatically configured to request enough ingredients for 30 seconds of continuous crafting.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Ah right, so it is actually by design. Perhaps the multiplication factor should be capped at a somewhat more sensible number then (10 seems like a reasonable number)

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

Boogieman14 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:28 am
Ah right, so it is actually by design. Perhaps the multiplication factor should be capped at a somewhat more sensible number then (10 seems like a reasonable number)
It's hard to find a reasonable number. There are plenty of situations where crafting for 30sec is desired regardless of the number of resources.
I believe there was a cap but it mostly caused confusion and problems.
If you want some custom amount, then set it manually, this is a special power tool anyway.

Not a bug.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Twinsen wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:15 am
It's hard to find a reasonable number. There are plenty of situations where crafting for 30sec is desired regardless of the number of resources.
I believe there was a cap but it mostly caused confusion and problems.
If you want some custom amount, then set it manually, this is a special power tool anyway.

Not a bug.
One could argue that the current situation is also causing confusion :) (at least, it did for me) Perhaps as a sortof compromise, a configuration option could be added to set a cap. Default would be current behaviour, but at least we'd have the option to cap at more convenient values.

Return to “Not a bug”