[0.17.14] Trains do not skip unavailable stations anymore

Bugs that are actually features.
Gimlinus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.17.14] Trains do not skip unavailable stations anymore

Post by Gimlinus »

Hello,

Since 0.17.14, trains do not seem to skip unavailable stations anymore. In particular, when a train is going to a station that becomes unavailable by a circuit condition, the train stops in the middle of the path and does not try to go to the next available station in the list. It was working correctly in 0.17.13

I put the blueprint of the small example on the screenshot.
The train with "No Path" on the first screenshot should have gone to the station "Waiting" since neither Loading or Loading Waiting is available. Instead, it stays in the middle of the road...

Edit : I added my log files

Attachments
factorio-previous.log
(6.13 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
factorio-current.log
(4.54 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Screenshot 2.png
Screenshot 2.png (175.53 KiB) Viewed 3102 times
Screenshot 1.png
Screenshot 1.png (1.85 MiB) Viewed 3102 times
Last edited by Gimlinus on Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gimlinus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.17.14] Trains do not skip unavailable stations anymore

Post by Gimlinus »

I'm posting two corresponding saves:

- In the first one (named Bug report), the "no path" problem occurs
- In the second one (names Bug report 2), the "no path" problem does not occur but the train takes a very long time to "reroute".

Both saves uses exactly the same blueprint. However, in the second save, there is only the small blueprint whereas in the first save, there are many more trains (I was designing stuffs 😊 )

Both saves were created with the mod "creative mod 1.0.4" but the behavior described in this report also occur when I load the save without the mod so I'm not sure if the problem comes from the mod or not.

Thanks for your work !
Attachments
Bug report2.zip
(1.68 MiB) Downloaded 83 times
Bug report.zip
(9.82 MiB) Downloaded 75 times

knightelite
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by knightelite »

I thought I had this happen to me too, but it was because I had a station with the same name in a different rail network. Thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=67619

Do you have a station with the same name as the disabled station active in a disconnected rail network?

Gimlinus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Gimlinus »

Indeed it is the case that I have other station on different network with the same name. But I thought that the normal behavior would have been that he does not try that to reach them since there is no path...

Thanks for the information.

This post can be deleted then 😉

tehfreek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by tehfreek »

It's still a bug, it's just a different bug. Trains should not attempt to path to stations outside their network just because there is a disabled station with the same name within their network.

Gimlinus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Gimlinus »

That would correspond to the intuition I had indeed. Would be nice if it can be fixed but i’m guessing it will not be a priority since there is usually a single network of train.

knightelite
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by knightelite »

tehfreek wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:03 pm
It's still a bug, it's just a different bug. Trains should not attempt to path to stations outside their network just because there is a disabled station with the same name within their network.
I think this one comes up so that you become aware of an issue if you accidentally deconstruct a rail to a section of your factory or something, it causes a big problem by having your train instantly no-path instead of just skipping the stop. Imagine the interaction here if you are a beginner setting up your first train system, and you set up your two stations, and you get a "no path" message from your train. Pretty easy to determine that you messed something up. However, if train just won't go it's a bit of a different scenario and harder to debug.

It may well be a bug, but I think it's intentional behavior to make the user aware that you're trying to do something impossible.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

Actually, if trains were to skip a station because it can't find a path to any of the enabled ones, you wouldn't get "no path" errors ever (except possibly in the case where a train has an empty schedule). The current "skip stop" behaviour is consistent with what happens if you delete the last stop of a given name, as well; the train skips that entry in its schedule.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Yes, I also don't consider it a bug.

When there is a non-disabled station with the same name in a different station, the game can't easily read your mind, and figure out, whether the path was just broken, or it should be ignored.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Now this is amazing. I can finally stop reinventing the wheel for trains not to skip a disabled station, and wait for it to turn on, by having an off-grid station with the same name. I guess it counts as a feature then.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Return to “Not a bug”