[0.17.14] Biters freeze if the player is not near

Bugs that are actually features.
manhelsink
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.17.14] Biters freeze if the player is not near

Post by manhelsink »

When the player is at some distance from biters, most of them (sometimes all) freeze their motion and don't attack, even when they are reached by pollution. If the player goes nearer to them, they start to move and gather again.

The behaviour can be observed here:
https://youtu.be/wm1a1njkIMc
And here its how they will resume their activity when near:
https://youtu.be/wm1a1njkIMc?t=58

I attached the savefile and the log.
The game is not modded.

Edit:
I have just notice that attack groups do form also when the player is away, which should mean that the normal behaviour of the attacking biters is not affected. But it might still be considered a bug that "defensive" biters are shown frozen on the radar, since it is confusing and it breaks immersion.
Attachments
waterRing13Bug.zip
(9.06 MiB) Downloaded 83 times
factorio-current.log
(3.28 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
Last edited by manhelsink on Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheRealBecks
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.17.14] Biters freeze if the player is not near

Post by TheRealBecks »

I can confirm that bug. I already posted in the Bob's mod forum, so here once again:

Pollution is still consumed by biter nests. See the attached screenshots... :(

Pollution in the last 10 h:
pollution.jpeg
pollution.jpeg (322.03 KiB) Viewed 2999 times
Kills in the last 10 h:
pollution.jpeg
...and kills in the last 1 h:
pollution.jpeg
So, as everyone can see, it's not working correctly.

Edit:
And if the biters start to move, because you're near them, they will still not going to attack. So movement and attacking isn't working.
Attachments
kills_1h.jpeg
kills_1h.jpeg (289.22 KiB) Viewed 2999 times
kills_10h.jpeg
kills_10h.jpeg (345.06 KiB) Viewed 2999 times

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

There are two separate biter mechanics - ones that wander around bases would not attack - they are the defence force and they freeze if you are not near to save performance.

I'm not sure if there is a debug option that will show if those frozen ones are an attack group or defensive one.

Edit:
Looking at your minimap - are you trying to farm those biters on the island? Do they have a way to pathfind to your base?
I recall that biters will do strange things if they hav eproblems pathing to their target - and going around water is not exactly best feature of biter AI.
It might be different then OP's problem - what he is seeing are sleeping defense biters. It's strange that they won't generate actual attacks still.
Last edited by orzelek on Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

manhelsink
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by manhelsink »

orzelek wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:27 pm
I'm not sure if there is a debug option that will show if those frozen ones are an attack group or defensive one.
The problem is that also attack groups don't seem to form. When I'm near I get an attack every few minutes, while when I'm in some other part of the map that area never gets attacked.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

manhelsink wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:32 pm
The problem is that also attack groups don't seem to form. When I'm near I get an attack every few minutes, while when I'm in some other part of the map that area never gets attacked.
You can try to use pathing debug to see if they are actually trying to path and failing or there are not attackers at all.
Also if that miners there go asleep since belts are full they will not generate pollution. If there is no pollution from somewhere else biters might not attack.

manhelsink
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by manhelsink »

Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:37 pm
manhelsink wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:32 pm
You can try to use pathing debug to see if they are actually trying to path and failing or there are not attackers at all.
Also if that miners there go asleep since belts are full they will not generate pollution. If there is no pollution from somewhere else biters might not attack.
You can see from the video that the pollution covers the biters while they are frozen, and what makes them move is just getting nearer to them (even if not in attack range). Also it would be strange for it to be a path issue, as there is nothing blocking the way and the attacks actually happen when the player is nearer.

manhelsink
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by manhelsink »

I have just notice that attack groups do form also when the player is away, which should mean that the normal behaviour of the attack biters is not affected. But it might still be considered a bug that "defensive" biters are shown frozen on the radar, since it is confusing and it breaks immersion.

TheRealBecks
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TheRealBecks »

Looking at your minimap - are you trying to farm those biters on the island? Do they have a way to pathfind to your base?
I recall that biters will do strange things if they hav eproblems pathing to their target - and going around water is not exactly best feature of biter AI.
It might be different then OP's problem - what he is seeing are sleeping defense biters. It's strange that they won't generate actual attacks still.
Nope, I created that island just for fun ;) The behaviour belongs to all biters all over the map. Here's the actual map:
map.jpeg
map.jpeg (138.68 KiB) Viewed 2957 times
The game has still 60 UPS, so it's not a performance issue.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

They are supposed to freeze if the player is far enough.

Not forming attack groups would be a bug indeed, but I don't see that type of problem in your save, and it seems that you simply missed the attack groups that do form.

Not a bug.

TheRealBecks
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TheRealBecks »

Hi Oxyd,

I already got the point about the freeze. But nevertheless we get way less than 1 % of the attacks from the updates before. Also the 'groups' consists of maximum four biters, I haven't seen bigger groups so far. So it's a bug :)

Return to β€œNot a bug”