[0.17.4] Crash in multiplayer

Bugs that are actually features.
HYPPS
Inserter
Inserter

[0.17.4] Crash in multiplayer

Post by HYPPS »

Been playing the redmew diggy multiplayer map and its been randomly crashing from 5 mins to 30 mins in between crashes. Game told me to post these files, I think these are the correct ones? Please help, this is really frustrating. Version currently is 0.17.4
Attachments
factorio-previous.log
(22.25 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
factorio-dump-previous.dmp
(699.62 KiB) Downloaded 111 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.17.4] Crash in multiplayer

Post by Loewchen »

Post the other logs with crashes as well please.

HYPPS
Inserter
Inserter

Post by HYPPS »

I don't see any other logs, what are they called? I'm looking in C:\Users\X\AppData\Roaming\Factorio
I've attached factorio-current.log but I noticed that the file size changed when I restarted the game so wasn't sure if I should attach it or not.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(23.11 KiB) Downloaded 123 times

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

Never thought I would say this but I'm 90% sure this was memory corruption.
Thanks to the dump you provided, I could see that most of the program data located around 0x0000020cXXXXXXXX - 0x0000020dXXXXXXXX.
The program crashed while trying to access the character's prototype pointer. The prototype pointer is located at 0x0001020c0e2f6830. That address looks correct except for 1 bit, so 0x0000020c0e2f6830 would have been the correct address.
So a cosmic ray flipped 1 bit in the character's prototype pointer causing it to crash on invalid location.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (44.56 KiB) Viewed 6479 times

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Pro Tip : Research Personal Shields ASAP !

(They help with IRL biters too...)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Anyone
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Anyone »

Not sure if it's related, but this is what I found very often in one of the early desyncs (0.17.0). In several files I had those swapped bytes:

I have personally not encountered this in a recent version but I have to admit that I have not been playing much.

HYPPS
Inserter
Inserter

Post by HYPPS »

Twinsen wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:54 pm
So a cosmic ray flipped 1 bit in the character's prototype pointer causing it to crash on invalid location.
Capture.PNG
So you're saying these cosmic rays sometimes flip bits in RAM, wow, something I never knew.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

HYPPS wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:42 pm
Twinsen wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:54 pm
Capture.PNG
So you're saying these cosmic rays sometimes flip bits in RAM, wow, something I never knew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeJeoPCSpO8

HYPPS
Inserter
Inserter

Post by HYPPS »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:39 pm
Pro Tip : Research Personal Shields ASAP !

(They help with IRL biters too...)
What did I just watch lol

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

A *very* effective defense against Cosmic Rays, IRL Biters... and Germs ! :lol:

HYPPS
Inserter
Inserter

Post by HYPPS »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:08 pm
A *very* effective defense against Cosmic Rays, IRL Biters... and Germs ! :lol:
Come to think of it germs can't survive on metal surfaces, that's why public doors have metal handles and them metal sheets attached that you push on. Now there's a fact, never mind IRL Biters, not real!

HYPPS
Inserter
Inserter

Post by HYPPS »

Thanks, I just watched it, we're doomed if we get hit by a solar flare then. Hide your comp, hide your phone in fridge.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Solar flares seem to be a somewhat different issue.
If I'm not mistaken, cosmic ray particles, being generated in supernovaes and black hole accretion disks, have energies orders of magnitude higher than what the Sun can throw at us. (But they are much more rare too.)
So, yeah, if that ray wasn't stopped by our atmosphere, (and the roof. and the computer's case.), adding tinfoil will probably not help much.

HYPPS
Inserter
Inserter

Post by HYPPS »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:18 pm
Solar flares seem to be a somewhat different issue.
If I'm not mistaken, cosmic ray particles, being generated in supernovaes and black hole accretion disks, have energies orders of magnitude higher than what the Sun can throw at us. (But they are much more rare too.)
So, yeah, if that ray wasn't stopped by our atmosphere, (and the roof. and the computer's case.), adding tinfoil will probably not help much.
Yeah man that tin foil isn't going to stop much, you need 5mm of lead at least or live under a lot of concrete. Do you reckon cosmic rays could of started life and the evolutionary process, atmosphere during primordial earth didn't have the protective ozone layer. Just a thought.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Ozone is mainly for stopping UV rays, I doubt it makes any difference for Cosmic Rays (or Solar Flares).
But UV rays might have helped with kickstarting life, yeah...
(though perhaps mostly helped with creating those organic molecules while they were still attached to asteroids/meteroids while in space?)

HYPPS
Inserter
Inserter

Post by HYPPS »

Ah its UV that is blocked by ozone I forgot, I guess any molecule can slow down or stop a cosmic ray similar to a bullet, or does the ray behave a lot more like a wave than a particle at 99% speed of light, having more mass and being able to pass through matter. I know neutrinos do so all the time. Anyway this convo is off-topic, but it is darn interesting how memory can be corrupted randomly. After playing factorio I'm really interested in how electronics work on a chip after all the map view is so similar to what an actual chip circuitry looks like. Maybe we're secretly designing factories not knowing that its pseudo for actual circuits that intel might use, that would be cool. A fun game designing real world useful circuits hahah

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

I think it's more that when you start taking about individual particles,
rather than the usual macroscopic amount in the order of 10^23 of them,
they tend to behave as much as waves as particles
- so you probably can't assume that even solid matter is not at least partially transparent...

As for factories looking like circuit boards...
(And a "future acheology" museum exposition had a modern circuit board exposed under the tag "city model".

It's just that similar design constraints
(2D layout, flow of goods/information, square grid layouts easier to plan/measure...)
lead to similar shapes...

HYPPS
Inserter
Inserter

Post by HYPPS »

It all kind of boils down to problem solving and factorio sandbox is one of the best ways of casually learning the skills that can be transferred into other systems like city design. That picture example is a good illustration. The city design you're looking at a static and hard to understand process that takes many years to learn, and in turn realise in physically. In factorio you're dynamically involved in the design, you can see things work in real time and able to design build and analyse something in the space of an hour session. I see this kind of gaming mode be applied to the real world in the future in schools for problem solving. City building games come close too in this respect but they have one critical flaw and that is the use of money for expansion, after a few sessions when you have millions you're just playing to make things look prettier as most thinks are controlled by a separate layer ai. But in factorio you're looking at a resource based economy where you have to balance the different types of resources and ways of harnessing energy and that constantly needs expanding or modifying as problems arise, you end up spending 50 hours on one problem and with many problems you're looking at 1000 hours sunk into the game without even noticing the time. I wonder if anybody has stuck their factorio experience on a CV, things like I've designed and built a 10 GW solar farm)))

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Factorio was already supposedly used as a recruitment tool :
https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... engeneers/

One of my previous jobs was basically Factorio IRL :
(Not the code that I worked on, rather an example of what "spaghetti" LabView might look like - and Labview already has multiple "surfaces" in "vanilla" !)
LabView even has a somewhat similar, orange-grey color palette !
(Grey for the Instrument controls (complete with square grid!), not shown in the above screenshot.)

EDIT : Yeah, looks like we're *really* off-topic now...

HYPPS
Inserter
Inserter

Post by HYPPS »

If I saw that before I played factorio I would of been turned away by the apparent complexity. After factorio I know that its only a bunch of little things like going from A to B and its probably something I could get stuck into learning and doing, coming up with better and better ways of doing coding or designing hardware.

Factorio as a recruitment tool, very interesting, maybe could be applied as is in schools to determine who is suitable for science/engineering courses.

Can you move this to another forum? I'd love to carry on this discussion.

Return to “Not a bug”