[0.17.3] Cannot connect EMPTY pipes due to fluid mixing restriction

Bugs that are actually features.
brevven
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.17.3] Cannot connect EMPTY pipes due to fluid mixing restriction

Post by brevven »

What I did
I have refineries set up for Basic Oil Processing. No oil is in any system at all. I want to set them up with water for eventual Advanced Oil Processing. However I cannot connect water to the bottom input, even though there is NO FLUID in the system at all.

What went wrong
I cannot connect water to the bottom input despite the fluid system being empty.

What I expect to happen
I expect to be able to connect water to the bottom input so that in the future when I change refineries back and forth between Standard and Advanced oil processsing, it's all set up for both.

Note on log file
There are no "factorio-previous.log" or "factorio-current.log" files on my hard drive at all, not in the userdata directory or anywhere else.

Nexus_Commander
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.17.3] Cannot connect EMPTY pipes due to fluid mixing restriction

Post by Nexus_Commander »

From the screen shot with the the fluid icons. Looks like you have water in the top underground pipe and oil in the bottom underground.

Marc
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Marc »

There is no oil in the pipe. It assigns oil to the pipe because it is connected to an input set as oil. With the oil refineries set to the standard refining, both inputs are set to oil in.

When switched to advanced oil refining, the inputs and pipes on the heavy oil side are switched to water. The problem is that many of us like to set the refineries up for advanced oil processing.

To solve this issue, I simply omit 1 pipe that connects the water to the refinery setup from the source. When switching to advanced oil processing I simply switch the process on the refineries and then add the 1 pipe to connect water to the refineries.

CDarklock
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by CDarklock »

Marc wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:54 am
There is no oil in the pipe. It assigns oil to the pipe
It doesn't matter whether there is oil in the pipe, the assignation is what matters. You can't connect a pipe assigned for liquid A to any pipe assigned for another liquid. This is by design.

NoraArendt
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by NoraArendt »

Any mixing problem:
1.png
1.png (3.09 MiB) Viewed 2662 times
2.png
2.png (3.27 MiB) Viewed 2662 times
I can't connect this pipes with refinery because of the "can't mix fluids" error.

skoivan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by skoivan »

brevven wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:46 pm
What went wrong
I cannot connect water to the bottom input despite the fluid system being empty.

What I expect to happen
I expect to be able to connect water to the bottom input so that in the future when I change refineries back and forth between Standard and Advanced oil processsing, it's all set up for both.
I imagine this was possible before 0.17 but not anymore because of the fluid mixing restriction, though it sounds less of a bug and more of a side effect of the new fluid interactions.

When you set a processing recipe in the refinery, the refinery assigns what fluids go into which pipes, so they may be empty but they're already "reserved" so to speak. So if you connect water to a pipe assigned/reserved for oil or try to switch back to a recipe that doesn't use water while you have water connected to an input pipe, then I suppose that's when the weird interaction occurs.

brevven
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by brevven »

Marc wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:54 am
There is no oil in the pipe. It assigns oil to the pipe because it is connected to an input set as oil. With the oil refineries set to the standard refining, both inputs are set to oil in.

When switched to advanced oil refining, the inputs and pipes on the heavy oil side are switched to water. The problem is that many of us like to set the refineries up for advanced oil processing.

To solve this issue, I simply omit 1 pipe that connects the water to the refinery setup from the source. When switching to advanced oil processing I simply switch the process on the refineries and then add the 1 pipe to connect water to the refineries.
That's the exact QOL issue I'm reporting. This used to work flawlessly, the new fluid restrictions make some parts of the game more annoying to play.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

The pipe connected entity defines the volume as containing crude oil, you will not be able to connect it to a volume with different association, this is intended. NaB.

Return to “Not a bug”