[Dominik][0.17.2] pipes not completely emptying when they should

Bugs that are actually features.
malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[Dominik][0.17.2] pipes not completely emptying when they should

Post by malventano »

I noticed that the center of a row of pipes did not completely empty when the water supply to the boilers ran dry:
2019-02-27-18-55-40.png
2019-02-27-18-55-40.png (1.05 MiB) Viewed 1254 times
The pipes that show steam present also report as 500.00C, suggesting that some tiny amount of steam is still present. Note: in this config the pipe empties from both ends. It appears that after ~20 empty pipes from the draining component we start to see some with remnant fluid present.
Allyn Malventano
---
Want to improve fluid flow between pumps / across longer distances? Try my Manifolds mod.

fendy3002
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.17.2] pipes not completely emptying when they should

Post by fendy3002 »

Isn't this fluid behavior is same with 0.16? It may be intended or buggy due to delayed fluid algorithm.

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by malventano »

fendy3002 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:14 am
Isn't this fluid behavior is same with 0.16? It may be intended or buggy due to delayed fluid algorithm.
No - this is a regression. Pipes would always empty completely in 0.16.x for the exact configuration in my example. It is more significant in 0.17 due to flow mixing prevention, since if a stretch of pipes should be empty but isn't, that will prevent repurposing a stretch of pipe that should have been fully drained.
Allyn Malventano
---
Want to improve fluid flow between pumps / across longer distances? Try my Manifolds mod.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

The tooltip shows what the pipes allow into them - always - regardless of what fluid is in the pipe.

In your setup there is no fluid in the pipes but they're connected to the output of the boilers which means they only allow steam in them.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by malventano »

Rseding91 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:13 am
The tooltip shows what the pipes allow into them - always - regardless of what fluid is in the pipe.

In your setup there is no fluid in the pipes but they're connected to the output of the boilers which means they only allow steam in them.
Yes, but they are still showing as full of steam (look closer - center left), even though they are empty.
Allyn Malventano
---

Dominik
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [Dominik][0.17.2] pipes not completely emptying when they should

Post by Dominik »

I just tried it in 0.16 and it does not empty either. The new algo, when it comes, has mechanism for it. Until then, gotta do it the old way.

Return to “Not a bug”