Artillery wagon + inactivity schedule

Bugs that are actually features.
Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Artillery wagon + inactivity schedule

Post by Avezo »

I had noticed a weird thing concerning artillery wagons. I have a single artillery train circling around my outposts, set to leave them at '5 seconds of inactivity'... But they stay there much longer.

They seem to stay the longer the more artillery range I have researched. Therefore, conclusion seems obvious - artillery wagon scans area for enemies to attack IN SLOW RADAR-ALIKE MODE, even when they visually do nothing.

I don't think it should work like that, '5 second inactivity' is inactivity if nothing happens, period. Background scanning is not what user should see.

Just let them scan area immediately, they don't update 'revealed' area anyway.

Intentionally not attaching savefile, since I think it's about algorithms alone (my savefile related to this might confuse you anyway lol). You'd need to make your own game to test it separated from the rest of everything else anyway.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Artillery wagon + inactivity schedule

Post by Rseding91 »

Avezo wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:24 pm
Just let them scan area immediately, they don't update 'revealed' area anyway.
That would have a *massive* performance hit every time it ran. The scanning speed is always the same - it doesn't run slower or faster at any point in time.

The way it works now is: each tick the artillery scans 1 chunk of it's area it can shoot at. If it scans all of the chunks and finds no enemies then it's counted as "inactive" and the schedule is allowed to continue.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

fochristo
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Artillery wagon + inactivity schedule

Post by fochristo »

So the first thing to do is to set the condition to "0 seconds of inactivity" since it means that a full scan didn't find aliens. :geek:

Return to “Not a bug”