[kovarex] [0.16.46] Combinator hitbox in horizontal orientation

Bugs that are actually features.
golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[kovarex] [0.16.46] Combinator hitbox in horizontal orientation

Post by golfmiketango »

The horizontally oriented combinator hitbox seems misaligned, lately, with the combinator's visual position such that the (graphical) connection points for either the upper-most red or green wire (depending on whether the combinator is pointed left-to-right or right-to-left) extends beyond the hitbox:
oops!
oops!
combinatorhitbox.png (219.72 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
Here I'm (simulating) trying to connect to the bottom combinator, but my wire winds up connected to the top combinator, instead.

Probably irrelevant, but just in case it matters, I'm running 0.16.46 on linux with standard bleeding-edge amdgpu kernel+userland:

Code: Select all

$ qlist -ICv media-libs/mesa xf86-video-amdgpu xorg-server kwin
media-libs/mesa-18.1.0
x11-base/xorg-server-1.19.5-r2
x11-drivers/xf86-video-amdgpu-18.0.1
kde-frameworks/kwindowsystem-5.46.0
kde-plasma/kwin-5.12.5
$ uname -r
4.16.11-gentoo-gmt-00

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [kovarex] [0.16.46] Combinator hitbox in horizontal orientation

Post by kovarex »

Well, generally, when clicking things in factorio, the base of the object is the relevant and the selection box is the thing that should be taken into account when clicking.

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [kovarex] [0.16.46] Combinator hitbox in horizontal orientation

Post by golfmiketango »

kovarex wrote:Well, generally, when clicking things in factorio, the base of the object is the relevant and the selection box is the thing that should be taken into account when clicking.
I guess the problem here is that the hitbox fills the tile pretty much completely, because combinators are tile-hogs? iow, if the behavior depicted above is "fixed", it would break connecting to combinators by clicking them right at the bottom? I think there's an argument to be made that it's more important to be able to click on the connectors than on the base, even if this makes combinators slightly inconsistent with the rest of factorio. Even knowing this, (which I'm not sure I fully did, intellectually, until you mentioned it. But, upon reflection, I may have had lizard-brain hand-eye sense-memory knowledge to this effect), it's awfully hard not to think you should click the graphical representation of the (virtually) physical thing you want the wire to connect to.

Also notable: hitbox implies collision_mask, but that's not the relevant thing obviously. I guess I really meant "selection box..." but... hmm....

gmt consults entity prototype docs...

Well I seem to be too lazy/dumb to find it in the docs atm, but I know there's a boatload of circuit connection point attributes somewhere hanging off combinator prototypes. I'm guessing those pertain only to what's displayed graphically? But perhaps those could automatically (or manually) be treated as a secondary selection boxes without creating too much of a mess? Or do secondary selection boxes always lose to primary selection boxes regardless of z-order? Not sure how clever/dumb, but maybe in that case there is a trick possible: make the top of the combinator, where the connectors are, the primary selection box, and the bottom secondary.

Return to “Not a bug”