[0.16.45] Bots at High Speed

Bugs that are actually features.
Squish8294
Inserter
Inserter

[0.16.45] Bots at High Speed

Post by Squish8294 »

Personal Construction robots at high speed research can't charge while you're moving, they drain energy too fast to recharge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXO7B5sJSiY

Video demonstration^

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.16.45] Bots at High Speed

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however that's working correctly.

If you keep moving away from the robots they have to move back to you in order to charge and that consumes energy.

The speed a robot moves doesn't change how much energy it consumes - it's the fact it has to keep moving.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Squish8294
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Squish8294 »

That's my point. A bot shouldn't burn through ~1.2MJ of energy in 3 feet.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

If I'm not mistaken, every tick a robot consumes `50`J of power in order to stay in the air, and an additional `300*s`J of power in order to move up to `0.06*s`m (where `s` is the speed percentage, which starts at 100% = `1.0`). This means that, for instance, if the bots are moving at 1000% the normal speed, every tick they consume `3050`J of power, and are able to move `0.6`m during that tick. However, if the player hadn't moved that far, the bot has still consumed the `3050`J of power, and the extra power consumed is just wasted.

The only ways I can think of to make it so the power isn't wasted involve an additional multiplication, division, addition/subtraction, and a bit of additional complexity in the entity code which probably isn't worth the effort.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

TruePikachu wrote:If I'm not mistaken, every tick a robot consumes `50`J of power in order to stay in the air, and an additional `300*s`J of power in order to move up to `0.06*s`m (where `s` is the speed percentage, which starts at 100% = `1.0`). This means that, for instance, if the bots are moving at 1000% the normal speed, every tick they consume `3050`J of power, and are able to move `0.6`m during that tick. However, if the player hadn't moved that far, the bot has still consumed the `3050`J of power, and the extra power consumed is just wasted.

The only ways I can think of to make it so the power isn't wasted involve an additional multiplication, division, addition/subtraction, and a bit of additional complexity in the entity code which probably isn't worth the effort.
Robots only consume the power required to move the distance they need to move. They won't "waste" power when moving small distances.

A robot doesn't consume 1.2 MJ of energy in 3 feet - you're looking at multiple different robots as the tooltip changes which one you have selected.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Not a bug”