Stack Inserter Picks Too Many Items for Filtered Inventory

Bugs that are actually features.
bourne327
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Stack Inserter Picks Too Many Items for Filtered Inventory

Post by bourne327 »

As seen in the attached pic, the Multi-Item Fast Inserter is stuck attempting to insert more steel into the rail car. The filtered inventory of the car only allows for 500 Steel, but the Inserter is trying to put in 501, which is causing it to freeze. The only workaround I have is to use a Fast Inserter with a single item override. This makes it very slow to add 2000 items to a rail car which can be unloaded by a Stack Inserter.

Can Stack/Multi-Item Single Inserts be set up to read the space available so that they do not attempt to overload their stowing allotment?
Attachments
Stack Inserter Bug.PNG
Stack Inserter Bug.PNG (1.32 MiB) Viewed 1991 times

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Stack Inserter Picks Too Many Items for Filtered Inventory

Post by kovarex »

This is a not a bug, sorry, If you want to avoid this, you need to have inserter per item, or to use smart circuit network setups.

bourne327
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bourne327 »

Time to problem solve!

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

The common workaround for special loading is to use one inserter per item type. Has been like this for ages. Would certainly be interesting if inserters got smart enough to handle that, but i'm not going to wait for it ;-).

Edit: Sniped by 3 people. Hrng :P

bourne327
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bourne327 »

I built 3 different circuits to control this... First 2 were very complex; on the last one I suddenly realized how simple it was and solved my whole problem with a single Arithmetic Calculator per Inserter. Thanks for the replies everyone, especially Kovarex! You Devs are the best I have EVER seen when it comes to improving and watching out for your fan base. If there was an International Dev Award, you guys should have it!

Return to “Not a bug”