[16.25] Placing 2nd Trainstop can't be exactly one length

Bugs that are actually features.
Dune
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[16.25] Placing 2nd Trainstop can't be exactly one length

Post by Dune »

Not sure if I'd call this a bug, or a feature request.

When placing a 2nd trainstop close to another, it can't be placed exactly one car length from the other. The game is making it be offset by 1/6th of a car length, which then makes chests (and/or pumps) not be reachable.

Here's my issue. In multiplayer, people setup different train lengths. 131 and 242 are what I'm dealing with. I'd like to accommodate both for a delivery station. So, if a train is a 131, set it to the shorter station, and the 242 the longer, but I can't nicely. Some chests won't remove items (in this case coal) from the train because the cars will be offset because of the 1/6th difference.

Is this difficult to fix?

Here's a picture that shows the offset problem of a 2nd station I want to place.

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [16.25] Placing 2nd Trainstop can't be exactly one length

Post by boskid »

Well, this is inconvinient, but cargo wagon (and other train parts) is 7 tiles long: 6 for wagon itself and 1 for connection between them.

Because 7 is not divisible by 2 (standard tile increment in rail networks" pattern repeats every two cargo wagons (or locomotives) - you have to move second train stop 14 tiles before first one.

Solution is to redesign unloading station:
a/ to have it only 5 inserters per side that unload from common spots
b/ to keep it as it is, then on one stop you will have 6 inserters per side effective, and in other only 5 inserters per side
c/ extend inserter line to 7 per wagon (place inserter where now you have power pole) - then you will always have 6 inserters per side, 5 common and 2 in dedicated mode: one for trains using first stop and second for trains using second stop

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

it's not a bug. it would be a feature request.

my question, why would you want a stop there? :|

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Hi, it is not a bug (as others had said), and it's unlikely to change, so I am not going to move the thread to ideas and suggestion.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

boskid wrote:Well, this is inconvinient, but cargo wagon (and other train parts) is 7 tiles long: 6 for wagon itself and 1 for connection between them.

Because 7 is not divisible by 2 (standard tile increment in rail networks" pattern repeats every two cargo wagons (or locomotives) - you have to move second train stop 14 tiles before first one.
5-tiles or 7-tiles locomotive for both ways train stations?

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Is there a technical reason why you can't change stations to be placeable every tile, instead of every 2 tiles?

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Zavian wrote:Is there a technical reason why you can't change stations to be placeable every tile, instead of every 2 tiles?
Yes

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

steinio wrote:
Zavian wrote:Is there a technical reason why you can't change stations to be placeable every tile, instead of every 2 tiles?
Yes
go on.

Dune
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dune »

boskid wrote:Well, this is inconvinient, but cargo wagon (and other train parts) is 7 tiles long: 6 for wagon itself and 1 for connection between them.

Solution is to redesign unloading station:
a/ to have it only 5 inserters per side that unload from common spots
b/ to keep it as it is, then on one stop you will have 6 inserters per side effective, and in other only 5 inserters per side
c/ extend inserter line to 7 per wagon (place inserter where now you have power pole) - then you will always have 6 inserters per side, 5 common and 2 in dedicated mode: one for trains using first stop and second for trains using second stop
We all get that it is 7 and 6, that's the reason for the post. IE the 7'th is 1/6 greater than the 6. Did you even read the post? I've done ABC, and they are all messy, and are workarounds for the problem. The suggestion wasn't about where to put inserters, but about placing the station in the 7th place as you deem it.

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by boskid »

@dune, noone here is obliged to help, stop offending me.

@Zavian: it seems there is no clear reason for stations to be locked to 2-tile grid: semaphores are 1-tile, their limitation is they cannot be shifted one tile between sides. This means, they have to allow any 1-tile offset (when on one side semaphore is on first slot (looking from train going in this direction), on the other side it is on second offset. As a consequence, train logic should allow train to stop in any 1-tile offset and so station also could be 1-tile offset placable using same train mechanics. Limitations may come from internals that we dont know or may not see or just because they were designed like this.

-- edit:
maybe there is reason for this: semaphores provide stop point in center of 1-tile grid. Train stations provide stop point in center of 2-tile grid: this way trains and cargo wagons properly align with tile grid when train is at station. Allowing any 1-tile offset for train station would require train station to connect with two consecutive rail segments and this may complicate internals

Return to “Not a bug”