[0.16.20] stack inserter not take from blue underground belt o

Bugs that are actually features.
Tony3D
Inserter
Inserter

[0.16.20] stack inserter not take from blue underground belt o

Post by Tony3D »

I was experimenting with smelters using vanilla sandbox trying to get best compression ratio/narrowest layouts. I ended up using circuits so that I didn't necessarily need a half belt of coal and to increase the amount of ore made available to the smelters.

Found an example where a green stack inserter cannot grab from the output side of a blue underground belt which may be a bug. Because of this the smelter cannot get coal. I thought that the best inserter in the game should have no problems grabbing from blue belts.

I marked it on the map with a note.

Immediately below that are examples where green inserters that cannot grab from blue belts on corners (that might be reasonable and by design however I thought that a straight underground belt would have no issues. What is also possibly unintentional is that a red long handled inserter could grab fuel from that same underground belt exit. So green stack inserter cannot grab fuel but the red long handeled inserter can.
Attachments
smelt 16 better.zip
(7.34 MiB) Downloaded 67 times

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: 0.16.20 stack inserter not take from blue underground belt o

Post by mrvn »

Can't look at the save now but do you see the inserter twitch? If the inserter is just too slow it will start moving when the coal comes out of the underground belt. But then the item moves on and the inserter gives up and returns to the ready position till a new coal come along.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.16.20] stack inserter not take from blue underground belt o

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. Because you have the inserter grabbing from the far side of the exit piece of an express underground belt it's simply not fast enough to grab the coal before it moves too far away.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.16.20] stack inserter not take from blue underground belt o

Post by mrvn »

Rseding91 wrote:Thanks for the report. Because you have the inserter grabbing from the far side of the exit piece of an express underground belt it's simply not fast enough to grab the coal before it moves too far away.
I wonder if it wouldn't be possible for inserters to emit a signal when they are moving to grab something. Then one could hook up the inserter to the belt and set the belt to stop moving when the inserter tries to grab something.

Return to “Not a bug”