[0.16.16]Can zoom map while game is paused

Bugs that are actually features.
QGamer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.16.16]Can zoom map while game is paused

Post by QGamer »

If I pause the game (shift + space) while in map view, I am able to use the mouse wheel to zoom, but I cannot interact with the map any other way. I assume the player isn't supposed to zoom the map while the game us paused.

(If the game isn't paused, all controls work as they should.)

This bug was briefly mentioned in: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=55014 (but no one paid any attention to it)

Steps to reproduce:
1) Go to map view (press M)
2) Pause game (shift + space)
3) Use the mouse wheel to zoom. It is possible to pan the map by using the wheel to zoom in/out while centering the mouse in different locations
"Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy."

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.16.16]Can zoom map while game is paused

Post by TruePikachu »

This has existed since 0.15 and is not caused by any refactoring of code in 0.16. It might even exist in 0.14, but the map wasn't as useful back then.

Dominik
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Dominik »

I don't think this is a bug by any means. Having the tile/chunk grid displayed, zooming seems useful. I don't see any harm in it.

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

Hi Dominik

If this is not a bug, may we request that you kindly please enable the WASD keys to move around the map/view when paused?

QGamer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by QGamer »

Dominik wrote:I don't think this is a bug by any means. Having the tile/chunk grid displayed, zooming seems useful. I don't see any harm in it.
Yes, it it useful. And I don't see any harm in it. But as everything else is disabled, I figured this was a mistake.

Wishlist: I would actually like to be able to use the map normally while the game is paused--with the exception of interacting with entities. Perhaps if I tried to open a train GUI or something from the map, a message should be displayed at the bottom of the screen: "You can't interact with objects while the game is paused" to let the player better know what he can and can't do.

Also, I think player should be able to create/edit/delete custom tags on the map while the game is paused. It would help with base planning & such. 8-)

What I Think is Most Important: Show the player what he can and cannot do while the game is paused. It should be consistent & logical.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

BHakluyt wrote:If this is not a bug, may we request that you kindly please enable the WASD keys to move around the map/view when paused?
First thing i thought when i read the OP: This is no bug. The real bug is that WASD doesn't work. (Unless the map view position is part of the game state for some reason?)

@QGamer:
Non-interactivability already works quite nicely by just not displaying the yellow selection boxes imho.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Dominik
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Dominik »

Yes, this is reasonable, more interaction should be possible. I will add it to the backlog. But please understand that this has very low prirority.

QGamer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by QGamer »

Sure thing. I will be patient. :D
Thank you for taking the time to review this.

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

BHakluyt wrote:Hi Dominik

If this is not a bug, may we request that you kindly please enable the WASD keys to move around the map/view when paused?
Another reason that this addition could be nice for players: I play with the grid lines off by default, but its good to have a proper look at something every now and then by pressing shift+space to pause and see the grid lines...

Return to “Not a bug”