[0.16.16] Tile prototype limit (255) too low

Bugs that are actually features.
Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.16.16] Tile prototype limit (255) too low

Post by Rseding91 »

The game was built to run everything in memory so it's as quick as possible.

Simply put: we're not increasing the tile prototype limit. It's 255 and will stay 255.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

Ehh it's definetly possible to increase the limit without affecting all saves or making it slower. You have to add an indirection and the code may not be as intuitive as before. Probably also have to change code elsewhere like loading/saving with different sizes but it's definetly possible to do. It's probably not worth the headache to change.
Waste of bytes : P

VzyxwV
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by VzyxwV »

Running fine(TM) here on 0.16.35 0.16.36 with Alien Biomes, Asphalt Roads, Color Coding, Dectorio, Extra_Floors, and a heap of mods that are probably inconsequential to the limit. After updating from 0.15.x, I simply re-enabled the big mods one by one until the game was willing to run.

Granted, I'm way over 256 tiles, so I have some pruning to do. After all, this is the first I've heard of such a limit, and all I've accomplished is to work around the error message - not its cause. At least now I know why mods like Dectorio and Extra_Floors only appeared to be half-working in 0.15. :roll:

FWIW, it sure would be nice if behaviorally identical tiles could exist as one, with data about things like color variations handled specially, even if only with an optional "tint" value that loads based on proximity; or if biome data could be handled separately, since mods like Alien Biomes are likely the biggest consumer of tile space in most people's setups. (I also reckon most sandbox game fanatics would be glad to spare 20+ GB of RAM for a setting, mod, or hack that raises the limit ...but I digress...)

gustavoghe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gustavoghe »

I really believe thats a real lazy ass response "Its this way and its gonna be this way 4 ever". You have a community wanting to mod the crap out of the game, increase its replayability value and that are in the least of the cases helping the game stay a live.
This kind of response is rude to say the least. I expected that you from the team would at least, try something more diplomatic. In the lines of "We have limitations, maybe if we can solve then that could be done" But the way your team answer is a huge sign of the little regard you have for your fans. What a shame.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

gustavoghe wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:02 pm
I really believe thats a real lazy ass response "Its this way and its gonna be this way 4 ever". You have a community wanting to mod the crap out of the game, increase its replayability value and that are in the least of the cases helping the game stay a live.
This kind of response is rude to say the least. I expected that you from the team would at least, try something more diplomatic. In the lines of "We have limitations, maybe if we can solve then that could be done" But the way your team answer is a huge sign of the little regard you have for your fans. What a shame.
Nice necro. I don't think that anyone will ever be born so socially stunted, in this timeline or any other, that they could possibly benefit from lessons in "diplomacy" and "regard" from someone with your limited manners and vocabulary.

I prefer game performance and my save game sizes the way they are now, thanks. So, jog on.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

gustavoghe wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:02 pm
"We have limitations, maybe if we can solve then that could be done" But the way your team answer is a huge sign of the little regard you have for your fans. What a shame.
Other game studios PR ppl lie into your face to keep your hopes up and your money flowing. Factorio devs tell you the truth. You can only chose one. The factorio community has decided that we prefer cold hard facts. If you prefer lies i recommend playing Star Citizen.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by invisus »

eradicator wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:35 pm
Star Citizen
:lol:

Jimmy G1
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Jimmy G1 »

posila wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:17 pm
This limit won't be ever increased. I am sorry.
y not make a patch that ups it and make it a mod so not everyone has it but peple can still up it if thay need to as space eprashin and the asfolt mod goes over the limit just by thim self (by that i meen thim being to geter gose over)

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

Jimmy G1 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:22 pm
posila wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:17 pm
This limit won't be ever increased. I am sorry.
y not make a patch that ups it and make it a mod so not everyone has it but peple can still up it if thay need to as space eprashin and the asfolt mod goes over the limit just by thim self (by that i meen thim being to geter gose over)

"Y" you have to necro something and not even bother to make it readable?

Even with my limited knowledge of data stuff, I can tell it's not possible anyway.
"make it possible for a mod" is still going to increase file for everyone

smartguy1196
Inserter
Inserter

Post by smartguy1196 »

posila wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:30 pm
Anyway 255 is very reasonable maximum number of tile types. Vanilla uses just 31, so mods can still add more than 200 tile types. Go complain to the mod creators to keep their usage of tiles reasonable :)
The tile limit is easily broken when using the various space mods (they add a lot of tiles).

My recommendation for implementing a higher tile limit would be to allow the tile limit to be set via configuration. This way the memory resource usage can be dynamically set by the end user, not the developer. I would recommend adding it as a graphics setting.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

See viewtopic.php?p=589483#p589483 - limit was raised for 2.0. Locking this thread, any further discussion should go in the linked thread.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Return to “Not a bug”