0.16.7 Roboports Repair Packs get taken by Requester Chest

Bugs that are actually features.
LP-LXXXI
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

0.16.7 Roboports Repair Packs get taken by Requester Chest

Post by LP-LXXXI »

I am not sure when this started happening, I happen to be on 16.7 and noticed it.

I have a roboport, with a blue requester chest next to it with a filter of 100 Repair Packs, and a Fast Inserter pulling form the chest into the Roboport.

The Robots currently at the Roboport, take the Repair Packs from the Roboport, and drop them into the Requester Chest, which puts them right back into the Roboport. It is an endless cycle.

https://imgur.com/VcL4vRC

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: 0.16.7 Roboports Repair Packs get taken by Requester Chest

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. That's working correctly: the requester chest req uests and the roboport provides it's contents. It's the same as a requester chest feeding into a passive provider chest.

Just don't do what you're doing :) You don't need to request repair packs to the roboport(s) - the robots will grab the repair packs as they need them from the providers in your factory.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

LP-LXXXI
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by LP-LXXXI »

Very interesting, thanks.

atehxx
Inserter
Inserter

Post by atehxx »

Rseding91 wrote:That's working correctly.
Just came to report this bug also - after putting requester chests by hand next to mine 100 roboports..., but since it's already reported - my comment:
That cannot be true. This collides with common sense. What is the reason to have this slots for repair packs there then?
I understand what you wanted to do with "Roboports now provide the repair packs they have for other robots to use", but simply changing it into a provider chest is not the way to do this properly. This is a way of lazy person. Proper solution would be like this: "I am robot looking for repair pack - oh no, no packs in mine roboport - lets look in other roboports in network also". This doesn't need to have anything to do with requester/provider system.
If you want do some good with roboports I would suggest to rather fit it with requester slots (for packs and bots)

I suggest you talk about this with Kovarex and I believe I know what he will say.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

The reason roboports have the repair pack slots is so the robot doesn't have to go and drop the repair pack off at a storage chest before it goes back into the roboport.
atehxx wrote:I suggest you talk about this with Kovarex and I believe I know what he will say.
I did when I made this change and this is what we agreed on.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

atehxx
Inserter
Inserter

Post by atehxx »

This is so wrong... unless I am too stupid to come up with new solution
Like what's your idea now on how do we maintain areas with Repair packs close to roboports and supply them now?
Cannot use requester chest to fill the roboport - loop.
Cannot use requester chest to fill provider chest - loop.
And we need to be super cautious not to put any requester chest for repair packs within logistics area... or we clean up all roboports and providers -.-
From my perspective you broke what was working fine before and didn't need any work at all.
Dunno why you don't have more reports on this matter.. maybe others didn't spot this problem yet.

enigma888
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by enigma888 »

I know the post is a few days old. But I just have to reply.
I really like what our devs did! It’s a beautiful solution to the question “how to spread repair pack all over the base”
Of cause with updates things are changing.
-You no longer have to put repair packs to roboports!- Just leave them in passive provider chest. The roboport now acts as a storage chest for repair pack. And if you have them stored next toe the place they are needed: use buffer chests!
The most simplest solutions are often the best solutions! Thank you for your work dear developers!

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

enigma888 wrote:-You no longer have to put repair packs to roboports!- Just leave them in passive provider chest. The roboport now acts as a storage chest for repair pack. And if you have them stored next toe the place they are needed: use buffer chests!
You didn't have to do that even before, but some people did it and then complained robots from roborports without repair pack won't go to pick them up from other roboports.

And yes, answer is to use buffer chest to bring items closer to the area were you need them.

Return to “Not a bug”