[posila][0.16.1] Low framerate when zoomed out on linux

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Trainwreck
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[posila][0.16.1] Low framerate when zoomed out on linux

Post by Trainwreck »

Framerate drops significantly when zooming out on linux version:
fpslinux.jpg
fpslinux.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 4877 times
Are those numbers on the second line "Calls: G 18700, T 18759" draw call counts? 18,000 is a lot.
Here's the same map on the same machine running windows. A nice and smooth 60fps:
fpswin.jpg
fpswin.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 4877 times
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(3.43 KiB) Downloaded 163 times

Trainwreck
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.16.1] Low framerate when zoomed out on linux

Post by Trainwreck »

I've done some more testing, this isn't related to operating system. I had different graphics settings between my windows and linux installs. It appears to have more to do with the Video memory usage setting. A setting of low or normal (the default for my machine) causes the low frame rate/high draw call problem. Changing video memory usage to high or all results in a solid 60 fps.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Trainwreck wrote:I've done some more testing, this isn't related to operating system. I had different graphics settings between my windows and linux installs. It appears to have more to do with the Video memory usage setting. A setting of low or normal (the default for my machine) causes the low frame rate/high draw call problem. Changing video memory usage to high or all results in a solid 60 fps.
If that's the case then I don't see a bug here. That's exactly what the video memory setting is expected to do - if you don't have the VRAM to load the required sprites you can reduce the amount the game uses at the cost of performance.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

hylomane
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by hylomane »

I have 4GB VRAM. Why was VRAM usage set to High and not All for me? There was no way for me to know to set it to All to fix this issue. Therefore I think it's a bug that the settings aren't detected properly for the hardware.

Just to clarify, the game runs fine with video memory set to All. But for some reason it defaulted to High.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

hylomane wrote:I have 4GB VRAM. Why was VRAM usage set to High and not All for me? There was no way for me to know to set it to All to fix this issue. Therefore I think it's a bug that the settings aren't detected properly for the hardware.

Just to clarify, the game runs fine with video memory set to All. But for some reason it defaulted to High.
Are you seriously arguing that having to find the optimal graphic settings for your machine yourself is a bug?

hylomane
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by hylomane »

Loewchen wrote:
hylomane wrote:I have 4GB VRAM. Why was VRAM usage set to High and not All for me? There was no way for me to know to set it to All to fix this issue. Therefore I think it's a bug that the settings aren't detected properly for the hardware.

Are you seriously arguing that having to find the optimal graphic settings for your machine yourself is a bug?
Oh look, a condescending moderator on a game forum! I bet you don't talk to people like that in RL.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

hylomane wrote:Oh look, a condescending moderator on a game forum! I bet you don't talk to people like that in RL.
Not meant to be that at all, I am genuinely curious, since half of the games in my steam library do not make any assumptions and start in windowed mode and minimum settings on first launch.

TheGegger
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TheGegger »

Does the user meet min specs? if not ignore.

Is there a graphics setting detection algorithm in factorio?
Is it working as intended for this user?

If there is, and it isn't, its a bug, although not engine-related.

Also.
Does it use to work correctly for this scenario?

if so, then this is a regression, aka a bug.

Also.
Is there a work around?
Is the work-around obvious to the user?

If there is but it isn't, then there is a lack of documentation for this work-around to be effective, hence a UI content or documentation change is required (aka for laymans, a bug). It may be that this low priority "bug" temporarelly gains in priority as long as the work-around is required, as the number of affected users will be higher.

My guess is that he was serious. He could be wrong, or the team's process may differ from expectation, that isn't for me to say. In either case, I am serious in backing this up as a bug, whatever its priority or severity compared to the current hiatus from the new 1.16.0/.1/.2 releases.

Great work devs on fixing real sh&, you guys rock, seriously, 3 in 3 days. Just don't diss the fanbase.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [posila][0.16.1] Low framerate when zoomed out on linux

Post by posila »

I'd say 18000 draw calls for drawing 21000 sprites is a bug, unless runtime-sprite-reload is active. I'll do something about it.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [posila][0.16.1] Low framerate when zoomed out on linux

Post by posila »

Thanks for the report.
It should be much better in 0.16.3

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”