[0.15.35] Performances issues : too many bitters?

Bugs that are actually features.
LotA
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.15.35] Performances issues : too many bitters?

Post by LotA »

Building a megabase, the UPS was stable for the most part of the gameplay (~200h) rarely going below 45 then it started dropping and over the course of a few hours, it got divided by two (now it caps at ~20).
I highly suspect bitters (and their pathfinding) to be the cause of the problem so i tried game.forces.enemy.kill_all_units() and woah, the UPS was back at a decent level (~45).
As I want to keep achivements unlocked, i didn't played after killing the bitters to see how long the ups stays ok (So the save is basically free of any commands).
Anyway, i'll post the save if you're interested in profiling and optimising stuff and because there might be something wrong going on as I once experienced : viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15238
Normal gameplay
after kill_all_units + 10s
factorio-current
Attachments
bench.zip
savegame
(43.12 MiB) Downloaded 70 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.15.35] Performances issues : too many bitters?

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. Biter path finding takes almost no time to calculate - all of the time related to biters is just them walking around.

That being said: I looked at your save and I'm not seeing anything broken - simply you have so many biters activated by pollution that they take up a large amount of tick time.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

LotA
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by LotA »

Is there anything I can do about it (apart from cleaning all bitters as far as pollution goes, which could be very very far away) ?
Are there any plans to improve bitters performances?

On one hand you can run a giant-ass factory smoothly, on the other hand packs of bitters that, at this point in the game, you don't even see or care about kill your cpu... something feels wrong about that

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

LotA wrote:Is there anything I can do about it (apart from cleaning all bitters as far as pollution goes, which could be very very far away) ?
Are there any plans to improve bitters performances?
No, that's simply the cost that biters have to exist and do the logic they do to be biters. At the scale you've built and the amount of pollution that's the cost. You can disable them by just deleting them and all of the bases if you wanted.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Not a bug”