Train waiting forever on closed station

Bugs that are actually features.
Rinin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Train waiting forever on closed station

Post by Rinin »

My iron station is closed with circuit network signal, but another open and passable station with the same name exist in network. But train waiting forever on closed station. Is it bug or feature?

Because I remember, train could find path to station with the same name in equal, but smaller network. If pathfinding limited by network size, then how is it limited?
Attachments
12346.jpg
12346.jpg (120.43 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
12345.jpg
12345.jpg (619.52 KiB) Viewed 2491 times

Rinin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Train waiting forever on closed station

Post by Rinin »

Loewchen wrote:14748
Can't see how they are related. There is no parked (forever) trains in my setup, and it obviously was not addressed in 0.13 because i'm playing 0.15.35 now

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Rinin wrote:Can't see how they are related. There is no parked (forever) trains in my setup, and it obviously was not addressed in 0.13 because i'm playing 0.15.35 now
I have to agree with Rinin, and also because of this statement:
Rseding91 wrote:
HanziQ wrote:This is a known problem and will be addressed in 0.13.
Correction: will be addressed at some point when someone feels like gutting how trains work and re-doing it completely. So, we don't really have an estimate as to when it will happen or if it will happen.
Since it still happens (0.15.35) as OP demonstrated, it's not fixed.

@Rinin: Please provide a save file where that issue can be observed.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I'm not seeing the bug in your screenshots. You've blocked both paths the trains want to take such that there is no path not blocked by a red signal. The 3rd path that may be able to reach another station with the same name has a path cost *wayyyyyy* higher than the one that's a few train lengths in front of it so it's never going to path to it.

I don't consider this a bug.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Rinin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rinin »

Rseding91 wrote:I'm not seeing the bug in your screenshots. You've blocked both paths the trains want to take such that there is no path not blocked by a red signal. The 3rd path that may be able to reach another station with the same name has a path cost *wayyyyyy* higher than the one that's a few train lengths in front of it so it's never going to path to it.

I don't consider this a bug.
As I see from your explanation you are right it's not a bug. But I would appreciate some explanation about trains pathfinding algorithm to understand what is bug and what is not in the future.

As I understand from my research and your explanation trains are using wave algorithm with metrics, and semaphores only affects this metrics. But could I find any more detailed explanation somewhere? How they are affected, and when this algoritm is recalculated?

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

You can find the train pathfinding code here: https://gist.github.com/Rseding91/c0d4d ... 3f6c6a8fe6

That should answer all your questions if you understand it
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Rinin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rinin »

Bilka wrote:You can find the train pathfinding code here: https://gist.github.com/Rseding91/c0d4d ... 3f6c6a8fe6

That should answer all your questions if you understand it
Thanks alot.

Rinin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rinin »

All this "magic numbers" in algorithm seems well balanced, but it makes me think about this suggestion anyway, to control at least one of them.

Return to “Not a bug”