[0.15.32] Offshore pumps not working properly?

Bugs that are actually features.
BillH
Inserter
Inserter

[0.15.32] Offshore pumps not working properly?

Post by BillH »

I created the attached reactor setup modeled on the one in ColonelWill's Mad Science world. I've noticed some weirdness with some of the offshore pumps -- while most of them are pumping 100 units of water, some only pump 20 units and some don't pump anything at all. Is this a display bug or is there actually a flow problem here? My understanding from the different setups I've seen is that three pumps should be more than sufficient to supply 24 heat exchangers and 40 turbines.

The only important mod used in the attached savegame is Creative Mode. I've seen this issue since 0.15 was released.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(23.94 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
Reactor test.zip
(6.59 MiB) Downloaded 87 times
Last edited by BillH on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Offshore pumps not working properly?

Post by Bilka »

The offshore pumps, heat pipes, pipes, heat exchangers, and steam turbines in that world have be set to active = false using a command to reduce their UPS impact. NaB
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

BillH
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.15.32] Offshore pumps not working properly?

Post by BillH »

Huh? I didn't use any command in that world. I see this problem with my actual base as well, where I don't have Creative Mode enabled (see attached)
Attachments
Rich land.zip
(35.43 MiB) Downloaded 98 times

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

I missread your first post, sorry.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

1 offshore pump can supply 10-11 heat exchangers.
You have 24 heat exchangers feed from 3 pumps, which leaves one of them barely used. Which one that is is up to the wonky fluid mechanics and most likely dependent on chunk borders and placement of pumps and pipes.

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by d3x0r »

Think there's an effective limit to how much pipes of certain sizes can transfer... was doing some tests trying to use like 10 pumps to fill 1 (I forget what it's called...the fluid containment thing) and seemed on pipes I could only get it to fill only so fast... There was a bob's mod I saw that had pipes with different sizes; but have never really seen what the max effective transfer rate is for pipes.

cbhj1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by cbhj1 »

The real tell for whether they are working properly is to check if the heat exchangers contain water at both ends of the line, that 20 is how much water is in the pump rather than how much is being pumped.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

You can use tanks or pumps, they're much faster than pipes.

Return to “Not a bug”