0.15.26 Single tree removal with deconstruction planner.

Bugs that are actually features.
rorror
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

0.15.26 Single tree removal with deconstruction planner.

Post by rorror »

When using the deconstuction planner, you drag over a part of the screen to deconstruct all the items.
When deconstructing some tree, i do the same.
For single tree, between building, and i want to remove a single tree, i hover over the tree ,till i see the yellow brackets, and i click the tree. (not click drag) Sometimes the Red X for removal apears, sometimes it does not, i can click what i want, but it does not work. It only works when i drag the red lined box over the tree..

I did some testing.
tree removal.PNG
tree removal.PNG (300.48 KiB) Viewed 2889 times
I splitted the tree into 3segments:
1.) upper part, when you click in that area with deconstruction planner, and there is a tree behind it (you will remove the tree behind it)
2.) middle part, you can click with the deconstruction planner what you want, but you can't remove the tree there.
3.) Lower part (stump part) you can click there with the deconstruction planner, then a red X will apear.

Expected behavoir: Upper/Middle/Lower part should Act the same, to remove the tree.

edit: Is it possible the yellow brackets are bigger then the hitbox itself?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: 0.15.26 Single tree removal with deconstruction planner.

Post by Rseding91 »

rorror wrote:edit: Is it possible the yellow brackets are bigger then the hitbox itself?
Yes, the collision box for trees is *much* smaller than the selection box. Which is why you're experiencing everything you're experiencing :)
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Yes, it is selection box versus collision box. But the selection shows properly once you start selecting things for deconstruction.
Not a bug.

rorror
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rorror »

kovarex wrote:Yes, it is selection box versus collision box. But the selection shows properly once you start selecting things for deconstruction.
Not a bug.
Well thats the problem, when i start selecting single trees. i fail to do (because the upper 2 parts of the selection box won't work)

I did some testing, and only the tree stands out. This with the deconstruction planner when you use single click (not click and drag) on a selection box of an building/tree/fill-in in game.

While the game tells me, i can use the selection box of the tree, to remove it, it actually provides me wrong information. Where i should click.

You are talking about a collider box for the tree it self, so you can bouche in to it. (I was not talking about that)

Also when using a axe on the tree it does not matter where you click within the yellow brackets.
When hovering with you mouse over a tree, while shooting it, it does not matter, if you mouse hover in Part 1, 2 or 3.

But the deconstruction planner failes to select the tree, while the game tells the player you can select it there.

It just falls out of place, i like things to be uniform

Hopefully this talkalot clears things out.

rorror
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rorror »

Lights have "kinda" the same problem.

You totaly can't single click them with the deconstruction planner. (While a medium electric pole, or other buidings or pipes the single click does work)

Click and do a "Mini" drag on the light, then it is marked.

For hard to reach places, i use the bots to remove stuff, and a single click on the light, or tree. Would be great if those 2items reacts the same as other items in game.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

I understand it, but I don't see an easy solution of this.
The selection boxes were added as an addition to collision boxes long time ago, to allow good selection of things that have smaller bounding box.
The selection of blueprint/deconstruction planner etc, just needs to be based on the collision box for good precision. Also the game engine is optimised for searching things based on collision box, not selection box, so performance wise, it would be much more complicated.

nucleargen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by nucleargen »

Situation depended in-game solution: if you want remove tree between buildings - use prepared before filtered decinstruction planner ^^
At first time for me it was a discovery.
The brightest future in the center of a nuclear explosion...2003©nucleargen

Dhekhanur
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dhekhanur »

Right-click on the deconstruction planner in the opened window click remove trees and rocks only => problem fixed (I assume) not sure what to press if you use mac os through since you don't have a right click (sorry had to throw that in)

rorror
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rorror »

kovarex wrote:I understand it, but I don't see an easy solution of this.
The selection boxes were added as an addition to collision boxes long time ago, to allow good selection of things that have smaller bounding box.
The selection of blueprint/deconstruction planner etc, just needs to be based on the collision box for good precision. Also the game engine is optimised for searching things based on collision box, not selection box, so performance wise, it would be much more complicated.
Thanks for the well explained situation, i understand the decission.

What about the light? That should be able to work right?

nucleargen wrote:Situation depended in-game solution: if you want remove tree between buildings - use prepared before filtered decinstruction planner ^^
At first time for me it was a discovery.
+1 for you. I have learned something new.

Return to “Not a bug”