electric drill on iron and uranium stops drilling iron

Bugs that are actually features.
Emerentius
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

electric drill on iron and uranium stops drilling iron

Post by Emerentius »

I have put an electric drill on top of some iron and uranium. After drilling some iron, looking at the specs of the drill, the second bar with the fluid builds up untill halfway and then drops to almost zero. The symbol for drilling iron changes then to uranium and the drilling stops, even though iron still is available. I cannot switch it to continue to drill iron. After dismanteling the drill and raplacing it at the same spot. The process starts again. With the same result.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: electric drill on iron and uranium stops drilling iron

Post by Rseding91 »

The drill switched to uranium and doesn't have the required fluid so it stops mining.

You'll need to not place it over uranium if you don't want it to try to mine it. Or provide it with the required fluid.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Emerentius
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Emerentius »

Thanks for your replay. I understand that I have to give it the requiered fluid to mine uranium. But I don't want the uranium. I want the last iron from that location and can't place the drill in a way it only covers iron. In a sense iI want to be able to control what it drills or to be able to continue to drill the iron without having to supply the fluid for uranium drilling.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

I think a burner mining drill will only mine the iron. Or at least it can be better placed.

Emerentius
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Emerentius »

A burner drill is indeed a workaround, but thats not exactly my preferred solution. Thanks anyway.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Well, we are talking about a few tiles of iron. Are you that resource starved that they matter? Not far enough into the game to spare some sulphuric acid and stash the uranium? Later on you will be happy to have it. At least if you are building nukes.

On the topic of mines on shared fields. In my last game I had coal next to iron and I put a burning miner drill 3/4 on iron and 1/4 on coal and fed it to a furnace. Every now and then you just empty the coal from the furnace and put it into the burner mining drill. FUN.

Return to “Not a bug”