Accumulator can't be connected to more than one grid.

Bugs that are actually features.
Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Accumulator can't be connected to more than one grid.

Post by Neotix »

I tried to build my power grid where accumulators are charged from two separated grid. I noticed that didn't work.
It's example to show the problem:

I built that and disconnected right pole. Solar panels are charging three accumulators and left grid see their capacity. Right grid don't see that accumulators, and next two accumulators are not charging.
It's even more strange because when I built all the poles, disconnected pole in the middle and connected him with left pole, I noticed that left grid don't see accumulators and right grid see them.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Accumulator can't be connected to more than one grid.

Post by ssilk »

Thats not a bug. It works as expected and when you think about it, it is quite logical: An accumulator cannot load an accumulator. Makes no sense.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

No, it's not logical because in reality you can charge one accumulator by another one because loaded accumulator is working as power source. But put away reality and focus on game. Accumulators are charged from power grid. Power grid can be powered by accumulators. Then why accumulator can't be charged from the grid powered by accumulator like other machines? In my opinion it's a bug or lack of feature.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Ok, with "cannot be charged by other accu" I meant gameplay. :)
To prove that:
- place accu.
- wait until full
- now place a second.
If you would be right, the full accu would try to fill somehow the empty.

But that isn't the case and I think it is good like so. Or call me a useful case. :) My logic says: when an accu is loaded, he should not give away it's power, until really needed anywhere.

The same thing happens with different networks.

Not a bug. :)

This has to do with the priority of the network: https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... k#Advanced

Accu takes power only, if there is capacity left in a network and gives power into a network only for the higher-prio stuff. That explains the behavior.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Balthazar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Balthazar »

reality
Raggle Fraggle!
Thats not a bug.
Not to mention this is necessary if you want to prioritize solar over dirty power. If you intermix them your powergrid will eat solar until theres no more solar, like at night, then start using dirty power instead of the accumulator power that was charged by the solars. Place the dirty power in one powergrid, have it connected to accus that are in both the dirty and main grid, and you will only use dirty power very slightly, unless theres no more solar power.

Also if they changed this your accumulators would constantly try to recharge each other unless all of them are either empty or full, which would be retarded.

Voted not a bug

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Yup, this is an intended behavior. Moving to not a bug.

Robbedem
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Robbedem »

Also somewhat related. If you want to prioritise stored energy above steam generators, check the wiki (works great for me): https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... ailable.3F

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Accumulators have a power rating of Terciary, which means they are charged last, and emptied last. Terciary can only be charged from Primary or Secondary, due to the laws of power flow in the game, therefore an accumulator cannot charge an accumulator. I'm sure if you put something else that draws power in place of those far right accumulators, they would draw power.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Not a bug”