[15.9] Severe performace loss

Bugs that are actually features.
Pi In The Sky
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[15.9] Severe performace loss

Post by Pi In The Sky »

Having the graphics option for smoke enabled results in a large performance drop, down to ~8 FPS around my steam engines. Last night playing v15.6 this was not an issue, and I did not play during v15.7. The issue was first present for me during v15.8.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [15.9] Severe performace loss

Post by Loewchen »

Please provide the information requested in Known issues > Performance Issues.

Pi In The Sky
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Pi In The Sky »

Attachments
v15-9 screenshot.png
v15-9 screenshot.png (2.78 MiB) Viewed 4392 times
v15 Experimental.zip
(9.32 MiB) Downloaded 54 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

It is all lost in the flip, I would switch on/off vsync, beyond that I have no ideas.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

I would turn the high resolution option off. I'm 95% sure that it is related to lack of video memory, so the graphics card tries to load and unload the atlases every frame.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Also the smoke is known to cause some severe FPS drops depending on your setup

Is the issue so bad when away from the steam engines?

TillLeiden
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by TillLeiden »

Hi everybody, I think I have the same issue. I also noticed the problem since 0.15.9, but I didn't play the last few days.
For my test I used a new map without any mods.
It happens most of the time (not always) when I at least zoom out to a value of 0.386 or smaller, but sometimes also at a value of 1. Also, it only happens with a Sprite resolution off high. On a new map the Flip value always rises above 13 (FPS < 46) when this occurs (Flip 0.3 when everything is normal, FPS 60). The other values are inconspicuous. The next thing I noticed is, that it happens way less frequently at night. Also, the effect is way smaller when I turn off "Show clouds & decoratives". If one of these options is activated, the effect stays high. Further the effect is high when I have full screen (1920x1080), but lower (about half) when I have window mode (1812x1053). Also in window mode the effect is way less frequently. First I thought it happens when a specific object is rendered, but I could not reproduce it yet to a specific object.

Then I looked at my GPU (960gtx, 2gb ram) values. When It happens, the GPU load is at 100% and the bus interface goes to 75% (normal: load: ~50%, bus ~50%, the used memory stays for both at about 800mb (with normal sprite resolution: load ~25%, bus ~14% memory used ~ 1100mb).

The Image is a comparison between two zoom factors in full window mode with cloud and decoratives on.

Maybe this information can help to identify the problem.
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (777.37 KiB) Viewed 4308 times

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

You can try lowering max texture size and see if it helps (to 8192) but you are running out of video memory.
And since you have 2GB you are on border of memory usage - so if anything else on your PC grabs some VRAM then Factorio can't fit it's sprite textures and ends up doing ton of streaming.

crocens
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by crocens »

Good morning.

Sory, that my first post on forum referes to a bug, but game took my breath away, everything is perfect :-)

But i must agree, after upgrade to 15.9 performace is VERY VERY BAD. My card is not a speed deamon, however without smoke everything was OK, after update the same save give me good FPS and UPS only on clean teren, when there is at least 1-2 assemblers, everything start to run VERY slow, like 10 FPS...

I belevi, this is a bug, becouse i did not change anything, just loaded game after upload. on 15.7 i have had no problems even when there was tons of assemblers, handlers, biters, trains on one screen...

So something must be bugged, as no change in game was made...

No mods...

Have a nice day, cheers to all, specialy for devs from Poland :-)

DDDGamer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DDDGamer »

I noticed severe frame drops after upgrading from 15.6 to 15.9 as well
Base is big with ~4k robots flying around, i had no problems running at 60/60 then after upgrade can drop up to 14/60 if zoom out from the character.
Unfortunately i dont have time to make a proper comparison with screenshots right now.

Pi In The Sky
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Pi In The Sky »

kovarex wrote:I would turn the high resolution option off. I'm 95% sure that it is related to lack of video memory, so the graphics card tries to load and unload the atlases every frame.
Klonan wrote:Also the smoke is known to cause some severe FPS drops depending on your setup

Is the issue so bad when away from the steam engines?
The issue is better away from the engines, but still worse than it was. My confusion is that I have been using the high resolution textures and smoke the whole time and there was no problem at all up through .15.6. The next day was when .15.7 and .15.8 were released, that was when I started having the issue immediately (was typing up the report when .15.9 came out, so I checked with the newest update and it persisted). Basically, I went to bed with no problems at all on .15.6, then the next day with .15.8 the issue was there.

DDDGamer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DDDGamer »

Pi In The Sky wrote: My confusion is that I have been using the high resolution textures and smoke the whole time and there was no problem at all up through .15.6. ... Basically, I went to bed with no problems at all on .15.6, then the next day with .15.8 the issue was there.
Yes, exactly the same for me except i went from 15.6 to 15.9 Always been playing on the highest settings no problem.

Also i noticed its not actually bad when playing alone, but with others on the server as soon as you start running away from each other, performance drops
Also huge frame drops for others when i was using the Atomic Bomb.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

It's strange you say it got worse between 15.6 and 15.9 because nothing changed rendering wise between those versions so it's highly unlikely that "no change" caused a performance drop :P
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Distelzombie »

If you use steam you can downgrade the game back to 0.15.7.
Maybe you can make a direct comparison this way.
Complete 2-Lane system as a Blueprint-Book! The perfect OCD reactor? Testing chained science lab efficiency Please use real prefixes and proper rounding!

crocens
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by crocens »

My problems Are finished. I restart whole computer. :D. Maybe during update memory was not relised or something ... no idea, reset helped.

Pi In The Sky
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Pi In The Sky »

crocens wrote:My problems Are finished. I restart whole computer. :D. Maybe during update memory was not relised or something ... no idea, reset helped.
My issue is no longer occurring, as well. Given that it showed up suddenly without reason, it seems appropriate for it to leave the same way.

<NO_NAME>
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by <NO_NAME> »

I have the same problem. I can confirm that this is the case also in 0.15.6.
Changing video memory usage or sprite resolution from high to medium solves it.
I am a translator. And what did you do for Factorio?
Check out my mod "Realistic Ores" and my other mods!

Anyone
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Anyone »

My problems mainly occur with the new ore it seems (and possibly the mines on it). Every time I cross an ore field, I have severe FPS drops if I zoom out.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

From what I understand, changing the graphcis quality from high to normal fixes it. I would recommend using high resolution only if you don't have any trouble with the performance and at least 2GB of dediceated video memory (and all browsers and other programs closed ofcourse).

Return to “Not a bug”