[0.15] Inserter on everything condition activates wrongly

Bugs that are actually features.
FalcoGer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.15] Inserter on everything condition activates wrongly

Post by FalcoGer »

I set up a machine to automatically produce belts.
Gears and plates are shipped via belt to the assembly machines.
Between the yellow belt and red belt assembly, I built an inserter into a chest, set to everything < 10 and connected to the chest. to the right I have another inserter on a different circuit network to another chest. the condition is everything < 100.
From the first chest to the second assembler I put the condition everything > 5.
It looks something like this:

Code: Select all

[C3]
 ^4
[A2]
 ^3
[C1] >2 [C2]
 ^1
[A1]

^, > inserter
[A] assembly machine
[C] chest

Inserter 1 and 3 are connected to chest 1
Inserter 2 is connected to chest 2
Inserter 4 is connected to chest 3

Conditions:
1: Everything < 10
2: Everything < 100
3: Everything > 5
4: Everything < 100
The bug occurs randomly in inserter 3. despite the chest being empty, it somehow and only sometimes immediately grabs the item in the chest, despite the item in the chest being a signal of 1. which is not > 5.
My best guess is that the inserter receives no signal, which is fulfilling the condition. it them grabs the item before the update reaches the inserter that it shouldn't activate. then the item is already in the inserter's hand.
That it randomly activates and randomly not, is probably some form of racing condition.

To avoid the problem, I don't use everything but the specific item type, which is a shame since this design would be blueprintable otherwise.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.15] Inserter on everything condition activates wrongly

Post by Twinsen »

Everything > 5 evaluates to true when there are no signals. Witch makes perfect sense imo. "Are all of the signals in the network > 5. yes"
Anything > 5 evaluates to false when there are no signals. "Is there any signal in the network that is > 5. no "

Use the specific item or Anything.

Also providing the savegame would help much more with understanding the bug, instead of having to follow the written instructions and having to build it from scratch.

FalcoGer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.15] Inserter on everything condition activates wrongly

Post by FalcoGer »

the issue is the inserter grabs the item before the chest sends out the signal for the inserter to check. and by the time the inserter realizes that it isn't supposed to be grabbing anything, it already has the stuff in hand, the chest empty once more, the condition true and the inserter finishes it's job.

Return to “Not a bug”