[0.10.0] Minimap: Some lines are not visible when zoomed out

Bugs that are actually features.
Tami
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.10.0] Minimap: Some lines are not visible when zoomed out

Post by Tami »

The minimap dont shows Belts and Walls sometimes.

Savegame: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx_pqk ... sp=sharing
Attachments
minimapBug.jpg
minimapBug.jpg (119.4 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
Last edited by Tami on Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.10.0] MiniMap bug

Post by kovarex »

Hello, can you drop the save somewhere please?

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

I think this happens because minimap is scaled down version of the map. Walls and belts are only 1 pixel thick lines on the map, so when you zoom out, not all pixels are shown making some of the belts disappear.

Tami
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tami »

Savegame added in first Post.

pyrolytic_tungsten
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.10.0] Minimap: Some lines are not visible when zoomed

Post by pyrolytic_tungsten »

I think this is one of those things that happens but most people don't really pay much attention to it. You get a similar effect(missing lines) on the main map if you zoom out enough. Only every other line of tiles horizontal and vertical have an effect on the minimap as can be seen in the screenshot below. Multi-sampling has no effect on the minimap.Since there are 4 tiles per minimap pixel it would be best to have the minimap pixel color be that of the most important feature such as biters, structures, or belts. I think that is a better alternative to blending the values together. Image

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

Rahjital wrote:I think this happens because minimap is scaled down version of the map. Walls and belts are only 1 pixel thick lines on the map, so when you zoom out, not all pixels are shown making some of the belts disappear.
I would agree with Rahjital that this is due to scaling down the larger map texture where one pixel wide details get lost due the way how raster image scaling works.
Now I'm afraid there isn't any general solution that would solve this inetirely. Deciding which important feature should be rendered on minimap could lead to quite a performance impact. So I'm not sure if using that might be wise.
But getting the blended pixels could be quite faster since you can speed up this proces a lot by using hardware acceleration.

Return to “Not a bug”