[14.14] Logistics vs. Autotrash

Bugs that are actually features.
Titan21
Inserter
Inserter

[14.14] Logistics vs. Autotrash

Post by Titan21 »

I had ordered 500 Belts in the logistics tab, forgot about it and later set Autotrash to only keep 100.

My inventory went crazy, a bot went crazy and I instantly completed the "have stuff delivered to you" achievement.

Cheers,
Titan21

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [14.14] Logistics vs. Autotrash

Post by Rseding91 »

Yes, don't do that. Having one change the other would be incredibly annoying.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Titan21
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Titan21 »

Well in the case that you're requesting 50 and trashing 100 that's fine, because the bots will always keep you within those limits.
But when you request more than your trash limit, I think it will be more intuitive for the user, if you then set the other value accordingly.

eg you start off requesting 200 copper.
you then set the autotrash to 100.
This should now auto set the request to 100.

I think having a bot stuck on your and your inventory flashing weirly doesn't direcly lead to the conclusion, that the request / trash limits have been set incorrectly.

As always, awesome work guys :)

Cheers,
Titan21

micomico
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by micomico »

I think the autotrash function should check the current requested values for the items and, if they're bigger than the values set on autotrash, those values should be used instead.

Code: Select all

items_to_trash = autotrash_amount(copper)
if (request_amount(copper) > items_to_trash)
  items_to_trash = request_amount(copper)
if (total_amount(copper) > items_to_trash)
  trash_item(copper,total_amount(copper) - items_to_trash)
This way you can set temporary requests bigger than the ones you usually have, without having to fiddle with the autotrash amounts. When you're finished building whatever, just set the requested values to their normal.

Starfoth
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Starfoth »

micomico wrote:I think the autotrash function should check the current requested values for the items and, if they're bigger than the values set on autotrash, those values should be used instead.

Code: Select all

items_to_trash = autotrash_amount(copper)
if (request_amount(copper) > items_to_trash)
  items_to_trash = request_amount(copper)
if (total_amount(copper) > items_to_trash)
  trash_item(copper,total_amount(copper) - items_to_trash)
This way you can set temporary requests bigger than the ones you usually have, without having to fiddle with the autotrash amounts. When you're finished building whatever, just set the requested values to their normal.
I strongly agree with this.
Normally, you might autotrash and regulate most items in your inventory so you can optimize space. However, it would be really convenient to have it this way. Therefore, I don't have to change my belt autotrash every time I want belt to do a large project.

Return to “Not a bug”