Pressing Q doesn't move the blueprint back to the book

Bugs that are actually features.
chris13524
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Pressing Q doesn't move the blueprint back to the book

Post by chris13524 »

When you open a blueprint book, use a blueprint, and press Q, the blueprint is moved into your inventory instead of back to the blueprint book.

Maybe this is intended behavior, but I disagree with this design choice. For example, I have a rail building book. When I want to build rails, I open the book, take out the blueprint, build my rails, and press Q. I would prefer not to have to open the book and put it back every time.

MiniHerc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Pressing Q doesn't move the blueprint back to the book

Post by MiniHerc »

chris13524 wrote:When you open a blueprint book, use a blueprint, and press Q, the blueprint is moved into your inventory instead of back to the blueprint book.

Maybe this is intended behavior, but I disagree with this design choice. For example, I have a rail building book. When I want to build rails, I open the book, take out the blueprint, build my rails, and press Q. I would prefer not to have to open the book and put it back every time.
Why are you taking the blueprint out of the blueprint book? Per the wiki, you just use Shift+scroll wheel to select a blueprint and then use it from the book.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

That's by design. Once you're holding an item in your cursor the game has no idea where the item came from.

Also you can use the shift + scroll ability of the blueprint book so you don't need to open the book to use blueprints. Just hold it in the cursor and shift + scroll to select the next/previous blueprint.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

chris13524
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by chris13524 »

That's by design. Once you're holding an item in your cursor the game has no idea where the item came from.
The game does know where (which slot) it came from when you use it from your inventory, why can't this be added for blueprint books as well?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

chris13524 wrote:
The game does know where (which slot) it came from when you use it from your inventory, why can't this be added for blueprint books as well?
No it doesn't. With auto-sort enabled the blueprint ends up back at the place you took it from because it went into the main inventory and or quickbar using the automatic "put the blueprint someplace" rules.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Not a bug”