Post by Mooncat »

Tested game versions:
Factorio 0.13.3 and 0.13.4

Mods:
Tested with all mods uninstalled

Issue:
Placing electric pole with very long maximum wire distance makes the game lag

Steps to reproduce:
1) Go to base/prototypes/entity/entities.lua and modify the maximum_wire_distance property of big-electric-pole to 1000
2) Start a new game with infinite map size and enable peaceful mode so the enemies don't attack.
3) Move around in the map. Place some big electric poles in different places.
4) The game lags when the pole is in hand and ready to be placed. Putting back the pole can turn FPS/UPS back to normal.
(I also opened tabs in Chrome to make the game more easy to lag, and zoomed in to make sure trees were not the cause of lag.)

Save you may be interested:
I have enabled cheat-mode and researched all technologies.
https://doc.google.com/uc?id=0B9Y5PCxYj ... 21GblRBbUk

I understand it may violate the original game design, but will be pleased if you guys can fix this issue. It is affecting the super big electric pole in our Creative Mode but sure I can reduce the max wire distance to a more reasonable value.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.13] Placing modded big electric pole reduces FPS/UPS

Post by Rseding91 »

Yes... don't do that...

When you change the range that high that means it has to scan that entire area each tick to render the preview boxes when you have it in your hand.

When you build one it has to scan that entire area for things to connect to the pole and when you mine anything that uses power it has to scan that entire area for poles to disconnect from.

Not a bug, you turned the numbers up to crazy land and you get lag - don't turn them up to crazy land if you don't want to deal with the results :)
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.13] Placing modded big electric pole reduces FPS/UPS

Post by Mooncat »

Rseding91 wrote:Yes... don't do that...

When you change the range that high that means it has to scan that entire area each tick to render the preview boxes when you have it in your hand.

When you build one it has to scan that entire area for things to connect to the pole and when you mine anything that uses power it has to scan that entire area for poles to disconnect from.

Not a bug, you turned the numbers up to crazy land and you get lag - don't turn them up to crazy land if you don't want to deal with the results :)
OK. I understand that. I will reduce the range to a more reasonable value. Thanks for your time. ;)

Return to “Not a bug”