[0.9.2] Alt mode icons on chests may be difficult to see

Bugs that are actually features.
production
Inserter
Inserter

[0.9.2] Alt mode icons on chests may be difficult to see

Post by production »

I have some coal in a chest, and pressed Alt which, among other things, shows chest content. The coal icon is extremely difficult to see when zoomed out.

The previous version had a frame filled with a gray background color behind the icon. This provides good contrast and allows you to see the contents of a chest at a glance, regardless of zoom level.
InvisibleCoalIcon.jpg
InvisibleCoalIcon.jpg (606.34 KiB) Viewed 6113 times
One of my major use cases for the Alt key is "I want some X, and I know my base has a chest somewhere filled with X. But i don't remember exactly where it is, so I'll press Alt, zoom all the way out, and look at all the icons." Usually I find out where I need to go almost immediately. However, this depends on icons having that instantly recognizable frame.

So I suggest reverting to the old behavior, or at least adding an option to enable frames.

If the user wants to reduce clutter, he/she can always simply press Alt again to toggle them off.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.9.2] Alt mode icons on chests may be difficult to see

Post by sparr »

I, too, prefer the old behavior. I made a feature request to make things behind the alt icon more visible, but this is not what I had in mind.

Tardan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tardan »

sparr wrote:I, too, prefer the old behavior. I made a feature request to make things behind the alt icon more visible, but this is not what I had in mind.
i think the new icons are much nicer on the buildings. only coal is bad :(

syneris
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by syneris »

You can set it to use the old (light) method in graphics.

I wouldn't consider this a bug, but would recommend something to make the icon stand out against the black background (especially for coal and other dark icons). The black circle could be a little more transparent too.

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

Beside of that, eg. the new research pack graphics seem a little bit too smooth, if you know what i mean. The outlines of the old graphics gave them a bit of "sharpness", now my factory beginns to look more soften and too blurry. I find that more strenuous to look where I have what items. The colours look like the graphic were made in CMYK and then converted to RGB, maybe this soft pastellic tone is intended, but I loved the more lively look of strong colours.

xng
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by xng »

I changed that particular thing to a rounded, half transparent, white circle instead, it makes it look like this:

----> Image <----

Just save the "entity-info-dark-background.png" to <factorio game folder>\data\core\graphics to change it if you want to use it.

It's hard to see against the forum background, but I added arrows to show, and you can rightclick it and choose "save image as..." or whatever your browser calls it.

Happy factorializing. ^^

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

The coal is problematic, because it is black on black. But we will have new coal icons eventually so it should be ok. The science packs are not final version but we used them anyway because the old one also didn't work well on the dark background.

Return to “Not a bug”