[0.12.29+][Linux] Factorio kills KWin Desktop setup

Bugs that are actually features.
bohne2k7
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.12.29+][Linux] Factorio kills KWin Desktop setup

Post by bohne2k7 »

Since today, i.e. 0.12.30, Factorio (through Steam) kills my dual-screen, multi-(virtual)-desktops setup under Linux (openSUSE Leap 42.1) with KDE Frameworks 5.20.0.

Setup:
As seen from log, I have two physical screens with different resolution, the larger being the primary screen.
In addition, I'm using multiple (4) virtual desktops.

Up to and including version 0.12.29 I could start Factorio on any virtual desktop on the primary screen in fullscreen and switch between the virtual desktops (via shortcut) without hazel (and Factorio even noticing).

Problem:
When I start Factorio in fullscreen, the loading screen starts correctly in fullscreen on the primary monitor, but around the 30-60% progress bar, the virtual desktops somehow get killed and I'm not any more able to switch between the virtual desktops with the configured shortcut (e.g. [Ctrl]+[F1-4] in my case). Factorio succeeds loading. When I quit Factorio, the virtual desktops keep broken. Relogging into my user account does fix it.
Factorio Log
Unfortunately, I haven't a log from 0.12.29 laying around as I've already tried it multiple times with 0.12.30, thus factorio-previous.log is identical to this one.

Edit [7.4.2016]: updated title
Last edited by bohne2k7 on Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.12.30][Linux][Steam] Factorio kills Desktop setup

Post by kovarex »

I'm sorry, but I have no idea, how could Factorio make the virtual desktop fail, we didn't make any changes to the graphics library aside mac.
I'm moving it to 1/0 magic.

bohne2k7
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.12.30][Linux][Steam] Factorio kills Desktop setup

Post by bohne2k7 »

Thanks for the reply. I'll dig little bit into that and try launching 0.12.29 and 0.12.30 without Steam. When I think about it a little further, it might be affected/caused by some Linux/KDE packages updated between 0.12.29 and 0.12.30. :?

bohne2k7
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.12.29+][Linux] Factorio kills KWin Desktop setup

Post by bohne2k7 »

Tracked it down to a segfault of KWin with both 0.12.29 and 0.12.30. Seems to be not related exclusively to Factorio. Most of the KDE packages got updated on 5th April after/during I've played 0.12.29 the last time without issues.

This issue can be closed as not-a-Factorio-bug, I guess.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

bohne2k7 wrote:This issue can be closed as not-a-Factorio-bug, I guess.
Moved to Not a bug.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

LD100
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LD100 »

Since 15.33 I have this bug again (it worked for me before).

@bohne2k7 did you open a kwin issue?

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

LD100 wrote:Since 15.33 I have this bug again (it worked for me before).

@bohne2k7 did you open a kwin issue?
A lot of times if your window manager goes tits-up, you will find a clear-ish explanation of what happened in the Xorg logs. For most people, I think that's /var/log/Xorg.0.log. You could also check the output of dmesg, your "main" system logs (if you have systemd try running "sudo journalctl", and ~/.xsession-errors).

This type of thing could very well be some kind of video-driver-level problem. I haven't noticed anything change in my multi-monitor behavior in 0.15.33 and I run KDE Frameworks 5 with full opengl compositing (however I tick the box that says "programs can disable compositing" or whatever; factorio does turn my compositing off.

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

Actually I just remembered another thing about my setup. I have a kwin rule for factorio under System Settings->Window Management->Window Rules. IIRC it is a relic from before factorio had the option to control what monitor it wound up on in full screen mode. It matches all windows types, "Window Class(application): exact match="factorio factorio", and the rule it enforces is under the size and position tab: "Position: force: 0,0." No wonder I've never had to mess around with the factorio multi-monitor settings, I'll bet that rule has been doing all the work for me this whole time.

Return to “Not a bug”