[0.12.29] [Michal] Performance issues (slow game)

Bugs that are actually features.
Gali
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.12.29] [Michal] Performance issues (slow game)

Post by Gali »

GPU is running around 70+°C , Intel Graphics around 85-90°C.

That's the save
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cyoupdwyaqkhyq1/fim.zip?dl=0

bk5115545
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bk5115545 »

Since you're using an Nvidia GPU, it won't usually go over 70C unless you're really close to V-Sync timing (driver heuristic) so that is also running very hot as well.
Modern laptops are normally limited by heat dissipation and not by the internal hardware and I believe this is your primary issue. Many people buy a brand not meant for gaming because it has the same hardware as gaming laptops; what they don't realize is that good gaming laptops have massively improved fan/heatsink setups and might even have watercooling or extra heatpipes on the motherboard. If you have a nice laptop meant for gaming (from MSI, Asus, Lenovo, or some Alienware) then you might just need to clean out the fan filters as another user suggested (if a lot of dust doesn't come out and it hasn't been cleaned in a good while then you might need to open it and scrape the caked off dust from the fan/heatsink -- this is pretty cheap to have done at computer repair shops if you're not comfortable).

If you have a floor air conditioner vent, you can try turning on the AC and setting the laptop on the vent. I had a roommate in highschool that had to play Skyrim like this (8 FPS not on air-vent and 60 FPS on air-vent).
DO NOT play like this for more than a few minutes though. If you have good AC, water will condense on the bottom of your case. When this happens, water has already condensed on the inside of the case as well.
This is only to test if heat is an issue.

You're processor is plenty fast and this game is optimized surprisingly well for multi-core processors though I'd venture to say that a well cooled Pentium 4 could run this game better than your numbers (they're so low but the specs are so high).

My last question is pretty simple. Does the fan sound like a jet engine, clicking harddrive, or is nearly silent?

The jet engine indicates that the fan is either dirty or too small.
The clicking harddrive indicates that either the fan bearings are loose or misaligned (meaning slower than max speed) or that the fan motor itself is in need of replacement.
The fan should not be anything near silent anytime you have high temps. This indicates that something is majorly wrong (could be a lot of things) and you should have the fan looked at by a professional because it might be causing your computer permanent damage.

EDIT:
I get 700 FPS on your save with driver disabled V-Sync running on 8 threads.
(devs -- this is probably much faster than test systems can achieve because I have written my own branch predictor microcode patches as part of my ongoing research to reduce L1/2 cache-miss-rate for non-deterministic parallel programming -- sitting nicely at 99% L1 hit rate limited by memory bandwidth).

mariusvollen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mariusvollen »

Im also on a laptop dual-gpu setup. i7-4710HQ and 980m. Regardless of which of the GPU's I run on, the load (from GPU-Z) is stuck at 99%. BUT the card doesn't get warm. So its not "doing calculations", its just "busy". This happens regardless if its a big 20UPS save, or a fresh spawn. GPU stuck at 99% load. Fps is usually 30-35fps on the iGPU and 15-20fps on the 980m. UPS is on 60.0. Any solution out there?

EDIT: Grammar.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

mariusvollen wrote:Regardless of which of the GPU's I run on, the load (from GPU-Z) is stuck at 99%.
Is this only the case for factorio or for other applications as well?
What does video engine load say?

mariusvollen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mariusvollen »

Loewchen wrote:
mariusvollen wrote:Regardless of which of the GPU's I run on, the load (from GPU-Z) is stuck at 99%.
Is this only the case for factorio or for other applications as well?
What does video engine load say?
Only games that are GPU bottlenecked. But at those types of games the GPU-temperature is approx 60-70'C. After 30 min of factorio at 99% the GPU is still at 40'C.

I even tried running it at the lowest settings as possible. FPS was the same.

Video engine load? what command is that?

Return to “Not a bug”