[.12.22] Yellow Inserters Can't Grab From Express Belt

Bugs that are actually features.
Yttrium
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[.12.22] Yellow Inserters Can't Grab From Express Belt

Post by Yttrium »

Place a few straight pieces of Express Transport Belts and put a yellow inserter halfway, When dropping Items on any side of the Express Belt the yellow inserter will reach out but will not be able to grab said Item.

I'm running the latest (.12.22) version of factorio and have been able to reproduce it using the configuration stated above.

I doubt you guys will need save files or paint-edited pictures on this one but feel free to ask ;)

Yttrium
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [.12.22] Yellow Inserters Can't Grab From Express Belt

Post by Yttrium »

I see, I found a quote from kovarex
kovarex wrote:Ok, we decided to close this as not a bug.
a) It is direct result of the world simulation logic
b) It can be used as mechanics.
It has always bugged me because when lines "Back up" the yellow inserters ARE able to grab the Items.

I did some more tests and when MULTIPLE Items come down the line yellow inserters DO grab an Item despite the belt being "Too fast" so maybe I should change the title to Yellow inserters inconsistency. The fact that they sometimes grab an item kinda ruins the ability to use this bug/feature as a mechanic.
SuperAdvancedTestSetup

I would even be okay if yellow inserters simply didn't work at all on blue belt, It would at least avoid the confusion.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

I sometimes used it as a way to "detect" when the line is full - I will put a few tiles of express belt with normal inserters taking from it, and they will only engage when the previous line (yellow or red belt) was full, or almost-full. This way, for example, you can only buffer if you have plenty of resources, or get a lower-priority line, etc.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

The belt moves the items past the inserter faster than the inserter can pick them up. That's expected behavior when using the standard inserters.

The reason they can pick up sometimes from multiple items passing at once is they're already extended partially to pick up one of the items when it goes out of range so they can get the next closest one faster before it also moves out of range.

It's not a bug :) Use the fast inserter when using fast belts.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Not a bug”