[0.7.4] MacBook without external mouse

Bugs that are actually features.
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

[0.7.4] MacBook without external mouse

Post by ssilk »

This evening it raveled by train and after doing some work I wanted to play a bit. But I forgot my mouse. Doesn't matter - I thought - trackpad is also ok. But it isn't. :) for this who don't know: no right mouse button. No middle mouse button. But zooming is ok.

Well, after some configuration fails, I found some solution. But my configuration is radically different, because I needed Ctrl shift and alt. Cmd key is not useable,pressing command while running for example keeps the key pressed, until I press them again. I didn't found out, why a filter in the quickbar can't be set.

If needed I can send my found key-setup. The biggest problem was, that the RMB is used in so many situations, that it is very difficult, to find a combination, which isn't used in another way and blocks the current.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.7.4] MacBook without external mouse

Post by slpwnd »

This is not really Factorio bug:)

I use my macbook without an external mouse now and then (yeah usually when travelling) and yes, it is tricky. There is a right mouse click (for me touch with two fingers), however it is clumsy to do. And of course no middle button - so I used alt + click, alt + right click for setting the filters. In general the game is not well playable but it is enough for me for some testing.

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

isn't it posible to configure MacBook touchpad to register tapping in left bottom corner as left click and right bottom corner as right click? I have seen such feature on several windows based laptops.

immerhungrig
Inserter
Inserter

Post by immerhungrig »

it is no problem to use the left bottom corner for left click and right bottom corner for right click.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Hehe, my non-apple notebook the touchpad can do these (using only the touchpad surface, no HW buttons or scroll strip):
assign a separate mouse button to each corner.
assign a separate mouse button to 1,2,3-finger taps (3-tap is my current preferred way of doing a middle-click)
perform 2-finger vertical scrolling
Hold any mouse button (1,2,3-tap + quick release + hold)

I am pretty sure that the apple HW can do that too.. It's just that Apple just hid all those options from you. :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hi MF-!
Of course it does and I will find a way to work around it. But the point is: is it useable for the potential factorio player?

The problem is, that this game makes much things differently. Most times it's very good :), and sometimes not and for the input I mean not. The hardware-side of games - in this case keyboard/mouse - is very important...

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Definitely not a Factorio bug, and a bug of a) Apple's crappy form over function approach, and b) PEBCAM ;)
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Using input hardware in not so commonly

Post by ssilk »

:x I didn't speak anymore from Mac alone.
For example, I've keyboards at home which are not able to press more than one key at once (only shift Ctrl etc.)
Try to fetch items from ground with it. And now? Have fun.
Factorio DOES make thinks differently and when coming to hardware/input this will make definitly problems when the target is more players.

We will see in the next months who is right. :twisted:

Arakasi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Arakasi »

Thats why MACs are not considered as gaming devices. Guys from Apple have still something to learn from others.
But don't worry, no platform is completely without problems. Nobody and nothing is perfect.

And one small advice for you: don't forget so essential stuff next time :-D

Nomadjackalope
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.14.11] Command + movement key stays pressed

Post by Nomadjackalope »

It seems like the game is very playable with a mac now. I just ran into the problem of renaming a train station and so pressing Command + A to select all the text which also made me move to the left constantly and I couldn't figure out why but found the fix here: pressing A again. Should I post this as a new topic as a specific bug for Command + movement keys?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.14.11] Command + movement key stays pressed

Post by Loewchen »

Nomadjackalope wrote:It seems like the game is very playable with a mac now. I just ran into the problem of renaming a train station and so pressing Command + A to select all the text which also made me move to the left constantly and I couldn't figure out why but found the fix here: pressing A again. Should I post this as a new topic as a specific bug for Command + movement keys?
If you can produce this in 14.11 yes. In general, posting in an very old report is not helpful.

Return to “Not a bug”