[1.1.76] smart belt bug

Bugs that are actually features.
pantabo1
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.76] smart belt bug

Post by pantabo1 »

when dragging belt with smart belt enabled and while holding the build button and switching to powerpoles the belt placement "jumps around".
I attached a save and replay file below.
I am not sure if this intended or not as i don't know what i would expect to have happened. The weirdest part is that when switching back to the belt at the right moment it places one belt at the location of the next powerpole and then switches back to the corresponding y axis but with a different x axis. i hope i explained that decently enough.
https://clips.twitch.tv/UninterestedWit ... 0YTuoUxl0f

also: i was holding the mouse at a constant height
Attachments
smart belt bug.zip
(1.66 MiB) Downloaded 33 times

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.76] smart belt bug

Post by boskid »

Thanks for the report. Fix is to not do that. It was never designed to handle those cases so its not a bug if it does not work.

This is an intersection of 3 complex systems, electric poles drag building, smart belt building and player input source.

Smart belt building uses belt building locked to a line which means a client will only send build actions on that specific line. For various logic purposes there exists a targeter to a last built entity in that logic.
Electric pole drag building shares the last built entity targeter because it has to track the distance from last electric pole to know if its already out of range and it should build an electric pole now.
There is also the player input source issue here. When switching items using quickbar shortcuts, the game state is notified of the item change but the player input source is made aware of the cursor change only in the next tick which means there may still be some build input actions sent for the electric poles even after the quickbar input action was sent causing the build action to be processed as belt building logic in the game state while not following the lock belt building from the player input source.
Even with the fixes for 1.2 covering the player input source cursor change due to quickbar, the build input actions are correctly considering they are for belts but then there were build interpolator changes which means the behavior in 1.2 in this specific setup may be even worse.
105286-in-1.2.png
105286-in-1.2.png (109.49 KiB) Viewed 866 times

pantabo1
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by pantabo1 »

hi, thanks for the clarification.
in what version was that picture taken?

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

pantabo1 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:36 pm
boskid specifically mentioned it was in 1.2 (even in the file name).
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

pantabo1
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by pantabo1 »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:55 pm
pantabo1 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:36 pm
boskid specifically mentioned it was in 1.2 (even in the file name).
lol, didnt see the file name. also, english isnt my first language and i wasnt sure whether the poster referred to the picture below

Return to “Not a bug”