[?] Picking up rocket silo destroys rocket parts

Bugs that are actually features.
JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[?] Picking up rocket silo destroys rocket parts

Post by JasonC »

When picking up a rocket silo, if it contains any rocket parts (i.e. > 0% complete), the rocket parts are lost.

Steps:
1. Create a rocket silo
2. Let it create some parts up to N%
3. Pick up the rocket silo

Expected: N rocket parts transferred to inventory.

Actual: 0 rocket parts transferred to inventory, produced parts are lost.
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Picking up rocket silo destroys rocket parts

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however this is currently working as intended. The rocket parts are gone as soon as the recipe cycle finishes and are never refunded.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JasonC »

Rseding91 wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:01 pm
Thanks for the report however this is currently working as intended. The rocket parts are gone as soon as the recipe cycle finishes and are never refunded.
Thanks.

Before I make a feature request: Is there a specific balance-related reason for that?
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

No there's no balance reason for it. It's similar to crafting things that have intermediate items and canceling crafting half way through. It doesn't give back the raw materials but instead the intermediate products already created. Except in the rocket silo case there is no intermediate product but the rocket itself which even after it has been fully crated is not refunded if you remove the silo before using the rocket.

There's also the logistical issue of trying to fit that many items into the player inventory which will almost guarantee never fit and end up spilled everywhere if the game even did try to do it.

And finally; considering refunding recipe ingredients is already a controversial thing internally and barely made it into the game I don't see this ever happening.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JasonC »

Rseding91 wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:53 pm
No there's no balance reason for it. It's similar to crafting things that have intermediate items and canceling crafting half way through. It doesn't give back the raw materials but instead the intermediate products already created. Except in the rocket silo case there is no intermediate product but the rocket itself which even after it has been fully crated is not refunded if you remove the silo before using the rocket.
Thanks
There's also the logistical issue of trying to fit that many items into the player inventory which will almost guarantee never fit and end up spilled everywhere if the game even did try to do it.
Make stack size = 100.
And finally; considering refunding recipe ingredients is already a controversial thing internally and barely made it into the game I don't see this ever happening.
They're products, though... at least philosophically, but also the rocket silo is a production building and rocket parts are produced from the inputs. There's an output slot in the production building. It seems like that controversy can be dodged by changing this to a decision between immediately feeding rocket parts to whatever hidden connected consumption thing turns them into %'s, or just building up a stack of 100 in the output slot before launching the rocket (where they would be refunded, since they're in the output slot).

Return to “Not a bug”