Bugs that are actually features.
MasterHero_
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.46] Fix UI interface

Post by MasterHero_ »

Hi everyone,

thanks for the usual support,
I have a problem that really annoys me and limits my immersion with the game, and I hope it gets fixed soon,

The problem: If I hover the mouse over a box or something, the interface on the right is kind of not showing all things if the box has too many things, it kind of gets cropped at the end, not only a box any object that the information is too much to cover, and this is under default scaling 100%, and when I increase the scaling it even gets worse. (screen shots attached to illustrate the problem)

proposed fixes:
1- you could add a button to temporarily to hide/show the mini-map and the things beneath it could help (provided that when hidden the box Info. details will go up to show us more)
2- you can also add a scroll bar to allow us to see the whole picture

I have added 3 scenarios on my screen and the proposed solutions on them

PS: I have an ultra-wide monitor of resolution 2560x1080p, so I like to increase the interface scale, and this problem really limit my immersion with the game if I do increase the scale, I hope this gets solved in the next update
Attachments
200%.png
200%.png (4.6 MiB) Viewed 3086 times
125%.png
125%.png (5.62 MiB) Viewed 3086 times
100%.png
100%.png (5.88 MiB) Viewed 3086 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [1.1.46] Fix UI interface

Post by Loewchen »

This is not a bug.

proicop
Inserter
Inserter

Post by proicop »

I agree that this is really annoying. If it helps, you can view the logistic system contents by pressing `L`.

The rest of the entity info preview menus are usually not that tall.

SophieFitz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SophieFitz »

There is also a mod called Expand Tooltip (https://mods.factorio.com/mod/expandtooltip). If you're okay with QoL mods then this might be a good option? :)

MasterHero_
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MasterHero_ »

Loewchen wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:52 pm
This is not a bug.
Technically maybe yeah,
bit it is still something we would like to be fixed in the next update, please fix it :cry:
Last edited by MasterHero_ on Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MasterHero_
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MasterHero_ »

proicop wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:55 pm
I agree that this is annoying. If it helps, you can view the logistic system contents by pressing `L`.

The rest of the entity info preview menus are usually not that tall.
this will help in Normal Scaling 100%, but I've got a big monitor and I usually play with scaling 150%
and almost everything is cropped,

so either I play with a very samll fonts and I dont see clearly in 100% scaling or I play with appropriate scaling and almost everything gets cropped

Thanks for your comment, I hope they fix it soon
Last edited by MasterHero_ on Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MasterHero_
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MasterHero_ »

JoshCode wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:11 pm
There is also a mod called Expand Tooltip (https://mods.factorio.com/mod/expandtooltip). If you're okay with QoL mods then this might be a good option? :)
this will help incase of normal scaling only,
I want to play in larger scaling as I have big monitor

SophieFitz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SophieFitz »

Well have you tried the mod? Maybe it will work for both scaling types? You may just have to live with the problem man.

They definitely won't fix it, don't get your hopes up :|

MasterHero_
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MasterHero_ »

Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:53 pm
Well have you tried the mod? Maybe it will work for both scaling types? You may just have to live with the problem man.

I tried, and it is so much better than default even on scaling, but its still does not make scense of why they wont do something about, because they just have to

thanks friend the mod really works

SophieFitz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SophieFitz »

You're welcome man I'm glad it worked for you!!
Yeah it's their game I guess, their decisions. It probably just doesn't make their list of important things, or fixing it would have ramifications they don't want to deal with. I'm assuming.
MasterHero_ wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:05 pm
Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:53 pm

I tried, and it is so much better than default even on scaling, but its still does not make scense of why they wont do something about, because they just have to

thanks friend the mod really works

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:36 pm
This is not a bug.
Technically maybe yeah,
bit it is still something we would like to be fixed in the next update, please fix it :cry:
I think the point was you should have posted this in the ideas and suggestion subsection, seems it’s not a bug, thus a suggestion.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

MasterHero_
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MasterHero_ »

FuryoftheStars wrote: ↑
Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:35 am
Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:36 pm
This is not a bug.
Technically maybe yeah,
I think the point was you should have posted this in the ideas and suggestion subsection, seems it’s not a bug, thus a suggestion.
Sorry it just seems a bug to me, however, I'm sure site moderators can move the post were every they want

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:18 pm
Sorry it just seems a bug to me, however, I'm sure site moderators can move the post were every they want
The reasoning: we decided long ago that trying to make the GUI work with every combination of resolution and GUI scale was going to be so much work and so much complexity that it wasn't worth it.

So we designed for the native resolution of 1920x1080 at 100% GUI scale. If the resolution halfs then the GUI scale is expected to half as well. If the resolution doubles then the scale can double too and it should all still work. But other combinations like ultra-wide means the ratio ends up broken: like trying to use 200% scale on a 1920x1080 screen - things won't fit.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to β€œNot a bug”