[1.1.41] you wanted friction-slowed cars? We've got warp drives.

Bugs that are actually features.
KeepResearchinSpoons
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[1.1.41] you wanted friction-slowed cars? We've got warp drives.

Post by KeepResearchinSpoons »

Greetings.
WeIrd behav for control stage car's prop friction_modifier for range > 1

doc:
https://lua-api.factorio.com/latest/Lua ... n_modifier
0.5 works fine, except you have no feasible breaks. Well, who cares about brakes when you cruise in a car at 420km/h+ ...

Expected:
a car,
with a friction modifier 1+ to inhibit some "cap" (over the top speed). (Contrary to how 0.5 works, adding to the max speed "limit".) (I.e. with 1.01+ it drives slower now.) (this car is shooting lasers at control stage, you know, kappa, we could pretend it is a slowish punk to drive)

Asserted:
(notice-able at =2, but ~10k works nice enough)
start a game. /sc; /sc game.player.insert({name="car",count=1}); place it, select with mouse;
/sc game.player.selected.friction_modifier = 9000; board it;
Then slowly, slowly! (Slow, Morty!) press the forward controls.

Observed:
Warp to the distant lands in a nick of a time.

Notes:
at crazy big enough values it DOES stop and does not drive anymore.

the bug is mp consistent.

Currently this is one of the fastest ways to travel across the land! Gear-ness record holder probably.
(apparently works rearways as well after about a sec of a driving through. Precision is lacking tho)

I do not need the fix right this moment rly, but would love to use the clamp later on, should it become the thing.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.41] you wanted friction-slowed cars? We've got warp drives.

Post by posila »

Thanks for the report.
But, honestly, I don't see why this is being reported as a bug. If you don't want your car to keep speeding up, don't set it to values that make it speed up, and don't "regulate" what values are reasonable (unless it causes crashes or serious problems), because someone else might use it in some creative way.

Return to “Not a bug”