[0.17.41] Deconstruction bots choose random distant storage chest

Bugs that are actually features.
AceJohnny
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.17.41] Deconstruction bots choose random distant storage chest

Post by AceJohnny »

When deconstructing stuff using the Deconstruction Planner, bots will choose a (apparently) random Storage Chest chest to deposit deconstructed items in, sometimes very far away, despite the availability of nearby Storage Chests.

I expected the bots to choose the nearest Storage Chests with available slots and appropriate (or absence of) filter.

I attached a save file of a simple scenario I constructed to demonstrate this, as I observed it on 0.17.41. The player is next to a 2-Lane railway T-Junction unconnected to anything, in the middle of a logistics network composed of 3x3 RoboPorts within logistics range of each other. Next to each roboport is a Storage Chest. You can try deconstructing the railway T-Junction using the deconstruction planner. Observe that some of the bots are going to deposit the deconstructed items further away than the nearest 4 storage chests. You can then reconstruct and subsequently deconstruct the T-Junction multiple times to observe different storage chests being chosen each time.

I'm in a midlevel game (before "Logistic system" tech: Active Provider, Requester, Buffer chests) with a significant connected logistics network, and this makes construction robots very frustrating to use, because they will be busy transporting the items much further than necessary.
Attachments
distant-storage-bug.zip
0.17.41 vanilla savefile to demonstrate construction bots choosing random distant Storage Chest for depositing deconstructed items. Deconstruct Rail T-Junction, observe bots. Maybe reconstruct and deconstruct a few times to observe even worse storage chest selection behavior.
(2.47 MiB) Downloaded 35 times

AceJohnny
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.17.41] Deconstruction bots choose random distant storage chest

Post by AceJohnny »

DaveMcW wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:19 am
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=68065
Thanks, that's interesting context.

Nevertheless, even in my example where all the chests are empty (so set 3. per that discussion), the selection heuristic is still random rather than nearest.

Return to “Not a bug”