deleted tank after attemp to mine tank

Bugs that are actually features.
nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

deleted tank after attemp to mine tank

Post by nosports »

Possible Bug regarding the ‚mining‘ of tank (vehicle)

As I venture into the biter invested land, I lay tracks/poles for support.
I have created small set of blueprints which I stamp into the land, thous also removing some trees on the way.
Generally I drive my tank (filled with some ammo and the fuel) all the while.

While venturing into the dark land; my inventory will get filled with raw-wood.
At the end of the journey or otherwise, I demount my tank.

Then I want to mine my tank, there I get the message of not be able to mine the tank due to a full inventory. (one slot was free, but i need two slots to mine the tank with fuel and remaining ammo)
But the tank is then removed from the map, so I lost my tank, that happened some times, but now I can hold my finger at this….

Of course the solution is to get rid of the unwanted raw-wood or empty a slot for the tank, but in the end this should not happen this way.
At least the tank should not be removed from the map if it could not be mined ….

I use 16.25
I have some mods running but i think it has nothing to do with mods......

If the descritpion is not enough i can supply more infos....

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: deleted tank after attemp to mine tank

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. If you mine the tank when it has no room in your inventory but you had room for the contents of the tank it will drop it on the ground - which is most likely what is happening to you.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Rseding91 wrote:Thanks for the report. If you mine the tank when it has no room in your inventory but you had room for the contents of the tank it will drop it on the ground - which is most likely what is happening to you.
Imho the whole concept of spilling items to the ground when mining them with full inventory should be abolished. It is never what the player wants and causes unnessecary confusion as it is not properly communicated when it happens (printing a message after dropping it to ground is insufficent as this will in most cases happen while the player is walking while deconstructing), and most items blend into the background so well when on the ground that it is hard to find them even if you know they're there. I.e. roboports on brown earth with grass doodads. It should simply give an error about not being able to mine an entity if the player doesn't have enough free inventory slots, same as chests do.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

eradicator wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:Thanks for the report. If you mine the tank when it has no room in your inventory but you had room for the contents of the tank it will drop it on the ground - which is most likely what is happening to you.
Imho the whole concept of spilling items to the ground when mining them with full inventory should be abolished. It is never what the player wants and causes unnessecary confusion as it is not properly communicated when it happens (printing a message after dropping it to ground is insufficent as this will in most cases happen while the player is walking while deconstructing), and most items blend into the background so well when on the ground that it is hard to find them even if you know they're there. I.e. roboports on brown earth with grass doodads. It should simply give an error about not being able to mine an entity if the player doesn't have enough free inventory slots, same as chests do.
It currently can't work that way for multiple reasons which I don't want to get into here.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Rseding91 wrote:It currently can't work that way for multiple reasons which I don't want to get into here.
:S. I wish i had a good idea to how at least make it more obvious that something was just dropped on the floor. But the only ideas i currently have are "mark for deconstruction" and "add an overlay to alt-info to show item-on-ground (i.e. a yellow circle around items). But i don't really like either of those :x.

Have those multiple reasons ever been written down somewhere (out of curiosity)? :p

nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nosports »

ok, after that i looked very very good and zoomed to max - there is a barley visible baby-tank now (how to feed him to grow out of childhood :lol: :D ).......

I understand from a concept point of view, but for a vehicle this should not be the case....

There need to be around 10 baby tanks in my map now i think - but how to find them ?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

nosports wrote:
ok, after that i looked very very good and zoomed to max - there is a barley visible baby-tank now (how to feed him to grow out of childhood :lol: :D ).......

I understand from a concept point of view, but for a vehicle this should not be the case....

There need to be around 10 baby tanks in my map now i think - but how to find them ?
If you have any suspcions where they might be - drag deconstruction planner over them. You can apply item on ground filter to it and drag over pretty big areas safely. Might also work from map.. not 100% sure of that didn't check that.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Does this also occur with things like chests?
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Jap2.0 wrote:
Does this also occur with things like chests?
yes

Return to “Not a bug”