Chain Rail Signal - Treats station as signal?

Bugs that are actually features.
Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Chain Rail Signal - Treats station as signal?

Post by Aeternus »

Here's a glich I ran into while trying to build a stacker with a waypoint station:

What did I do?
Screenshots below show a simplified version.

Chainsignal working as normal:

Chainsignal turns blue when a station is plopped in betweem:

What did I expect to happen?
If all signals leading away are red, the chain signal should be red.

What happened?
Chain signal will never go red if the station is inbetween it and the red exit signals.

Reason for making this: I've got a number of same-named unload stations gated so that a train may only arrive at them when the station has enough room for a cargo. I do this by setting the signal entering that particular station to red and disabling the station. I have a stacker in front of the station to buffer some trains if needed (they are coming from remote mines). To prevent trains coming from the stacker to skip the unloading station entirely I need them to first pass an entry waypoint. The chain signal is meant to deny access from the stacker to this station until there is an unloading station ready to receive the train. I'll have to work around this with some combinators for the moment.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Chain Rail Signal - Treats station as signal?

Post by steinio »

NaB - working as intended

A train station is always reachable behind a chain signal.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Indeed, based on 30881 not a bug.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Allright, workaround with some circuit magic it will be! I already got it working the way I want now :)

kitcat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by kitcat »

Can’t you just place the chain signal on the other side of the entry station? Your trains will still be forced through the station and the unload stations but they won’t go through the chain signal unless an unload station is free.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Also note that the chain signal only lets trains pass that want to go to the station. All other paths are blocked.

And you can't say the path to the station is blocked, trains can safely go there.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

kitcat wrote:Can’t you just place the chain signal on the other side of the entry station? Your trains will still be forced through the station and the unload stations but they won’t go through the chain signal unless an unload station is free.
No, that doesn't work. For my stacker to work properly, trains may only reach the waypoint station if there is at least one free loading/unloading bay ready for them behind it (so they -do- want to go to that station, so the blue signal is a problem for me). The signal at the waypoint -has- to be in front of the station. I disable the stations behind it that aren't ready for a train (due to no full cargo ready or no room to unload a full cargo). If a train is waiting at the waypoint and the receiver stations all go disabled, the train will skip that station and instead head back wherever it came from, without transferring cargo.

It's not a problem though, I can emulate the behaviour of a chain signal with a few simple combinators :)

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Why not set the trains to leave the waypoint station on circuit condition "green > 0" and connect all the real signals to the trains stop with "send to train"? Then trains will wait at the waypoint station till there is a bay free.

Return to “Not a bug”