[15.35] Save state seems to have become a zip bomb

Bugs that are actually features.
Kitebeans
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[15.35] Save state seems to have become a zip bomb

Post by Kitebeans »

I was running this game for a few weeks and leaving it idle every day while out at work, it has some mods on it, but the problem persists even without them and doesn't seem to be changed at all.
The last few days I have noticed the periodic autosave was taking an unusually long time at around the half-way point, but wasn't correlated with intense HDD usage for some reason, and I knew it was getting worse, but I imagined it was normal.

It apparently became exponential at some point, though. My save file now appears to be some kind of Factorio save file bomb?

Even though the game was running without any hitches whatsoever at the time when I made this save, trying to load it from this file instead consumes all of my available RAM almost instantly, locking up my computer to the point where music freezes instantly and the mouse becomes unresponsive.

I'm not worried about continuing to play on this specific save, but I am -really- curious what happened here? My upload speed is dismal but I can attempt to provide the mod folder I was using at the time, even though the save seems to be unloadable for me even without it.
Attachments
Mod Normal I.7z
(18.7 MiB) Downloaded 54 times

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [15.35] Save state seems to have become a zip bomb

Post by kovarex »

Does it happen without the mods? And mainly, without the save file itself, we can't investigate much.

Kitebeans
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Kitebeans »

I attached the save file without the mods =D There isn't any difference for me loading with or without mods. I will need to find a different network to upload the mods from, if it's necessary.

Kitebeans
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Kitebeans »

Belatedly, the attached file is actually the save game, -not- the modpack. It's too big for me to upload without making a trip to a local college campus xD

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Mod 'Surface remake' created almost 33'000'000 underground-wall entities, which used up enormous amount of RAM.

Here is the save without the mod (and also without Fastforward start mod, because the game didn't find it on mod portal)
Attachments
53166_zip_bomb_wo_Surface_remake.zip
(30.28 MiB) Downloaded 47 times

Kitebeans
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Kitebeans »

Aye =D I suspected this had been the case, according to a friend with a ton more ram (who's machine also choked on it a few times to his dismay.)

Thanks for confirming. ^^

Return to “Not a bug”