Problems in S-bend part of rail tutorial

Bugs that are actually features.
runamucker
Inserter
Inserter

Problems in S-bend part of rail tutorial

Post by runamucker »

Three issues in the "Ghost rail planning" tutorial:

1. I'm supposed to make an S-bend ghost. If I hold "shift" when I click the green planning arrow, the rail refuses to connect to the other side. If I don't click "shift", it connects, but tells me, "Placing real rail is restricted in this tutorial. Hold SHIFT to place ghost rails. This happens even if I'm holding shift when I release the mouse.

2. When I don't place the rail right, the rail piece is removed from my hand and I have to click the toolbar before I try again, which is annoying.

3. The instructions read, "Connect the two rails with a S-bend". It should read, "... with AN S-bend".

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Problems in S-bend part of rail tutorial

Post by Jap2.0 »

I'm unsure about 1, are you saying you go into the mode where you place ghost rails, but it place the rails where you want it to? As for 3, why do you think it should be an? You only use an before words that start with a vowel.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Jap2.0 wrote:As for 3, why do you think it should be an? You only use an before words that start with a vowel.
It has to start with a vowel sound not with an actual vowel. A union but an umbrella.

Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jon8RFC »

Loewchen wrote:
Jap2.0 wrote:As for 3, why do you think it should be an? You only use an before words that start with a vowel.
It has to start with a vowel sound not with an actual vowel. A union but an umbrella.
Bingo.

I've said it before and I'll say it again--the Factorio team speaks outstanding English compared to the majority of those speaking English. It's always a pleasure to read the FFFs because it's pretty fluid. Minor mistakes can happen, and the report mentioned above may have been merely a typo rather than a grammatical error. Overall, their English is very, very good!

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Jon8RFC wrote:
Loewchen wrote:
Bingo.

I've said it before and I'll say it again--the Factorio team speaks outstanding English compared to the majority of those speaking English. It's always a pleasure to read the FFFs because it's pretty fluid. Minor mistakes can happen, and the report mentioned above may have been merely a typo rather than a grammatical error. Overall, their English is very, very good!
Huh. TIL. I guess that that should be changed then (although I know someone will post it as wrong then :)). I'm not going to get mad at them for getting it wrong, though - I had no idea that was the case and I've been speaking English my entire life (although there are probably plently of people who have spoken it longer than me who haven't spoken it their entire life).

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Well, this isn't so much a bug, but feedback

We are reviewing and improving the tutorials in 0.16, but in any case this is not a bug

leitk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by leitk »

An then there is 'history'.
Correctly it's 'an history', but the way I've learned to pronounce 'history' is with an h sound.
There are some dialects in England that don't pronounce that 'h' so it becomes ' an istory'.
Similarly for 'honor' except I don't pronounce that h either, so it's 'an onor'.

English is a strange language, and I'm a native speaker.
I've been very impressed with Factorio's English.
It's better than many of my co-worker's native English.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

leitk wrote:An then there is 'history'.
Correctly it's 'an history', but the way I've learned to pronounce 'history' is with an h sound.
There are some dialects in England that don't pronounce that 'h' so it becomes ' an istory'.
Similarly for 'honor' except I don't pronounce that h either, so it's 'an onor'.

English is a strange language, and I'm a native speaker.
I've been very impressed with Factorio's English.
It's better than many of my co-worker's native English.
Wow. I'm a native English speaker as well, and the complexity of it can astound me sometimes. Why is an history correct? I can see an honor, because I don't pronounce that h, but I do pronounce the beginning h in history.
I googled it, and it looks like both are somewhat accepted, with an coming from a more archaic pronunciation.

Return to “Not a bug”