Shift click to Logistic Trash

Bugs that are actually features.
lyallp
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Shift click to Logistic Trash

Post by lyallp »

Don't know if it's a bug or by design, but I do find it rather annoying that generally, you can shift/ctrl click in your inventory into the logistic trash slots.

However, some items, you can't.

For example.
Plastic, coal, iron ore, copper ore, green circuits, you can shift click to trash logistics slots.
Steel furnaces, steam engines, solar panels, red circuits, blue circuits, you can't shift click to trash logistics slots.

Running Factorio 0.12.4 on Linux x64
Last edited by lyallp on Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Lyall

Vin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Shift click to Logistic Trash

Post by Vin »

This is by design.

Anything you can place won't be sent to logistic trash, nor will ammo. Though I don't know why red/blue circuits wouldn't work. I haven't actually tried it. That part might be a bug.

lyallp
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by lyallp »

I don't see why.

What does shift click a placable from an item in your inventory do differently to a non-placable item?

It just picks it up, ready for deployment when I expect it to zip over to trash slot.

Similar reasoning as to why wouldn't I want to put ammo in my logistic trash using shift click?
...Lyall

Vin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Vin »

I believe it has to do with the way your toolbar and ammo belt interact with auto send on craft/pickup, specifically which items have the send to quickbar or send to inventory flags. Hopefully someone who knows exactly why it works the way it does will swing by with a better explanation.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

You can just use the shift click to move the items into your quickbar, something buildable, like a furnace. In that case, you don't want the furnace to suddenly go to the trash slot instead.

So yes, this is not a bug.

HanziQ
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by HanziQ »

This might not be a bug, but it is still pretty stupid. I think a lot of people would like to see a button for moving items straight to trash slots, for example reusing the X button, that throws items on the ground.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

HanziQ wrote:This might not be a bug, but it is still pretty stupid. I think a lot of people would like to see a button for moving items straight to trash slots, for example reusing the X button, that throws items on the ground.
Adding another control to the game, just for this reason is really dangerous, the game has too many controls already.

Vin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Vin »

kovarex wrote:Adding another control to the game, just for this reason is really dangerous, the game has too many controls already.
I've heard you say this before and I'm curious as to your reasoning behind the current implementation. As it stands, the shift-click works sometimes but not others, which is counter to what I assume the danger of too many controls is (putting too much of a burden on the player to learn them). It seems to me either the feature should exist or it shouldn't, instead of halfway existing and generating confusion as in the original post.

Or perhaps my assumption is wrong? I'm not sure.

deepdriller
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deepdriller »

If not for that, then at least give the player the option to set a keybinding for that, even if it is left undefined by default.

Quizer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Quizer »

kovarex wrote:Adding another control to the game, just for this reason is really dangerous, the game has too many controls already.
The problem with the current setup is that shift-clicking only works on some items. When I want to get rid of stuff in my inventory, I don't care about whether it's placeable or ammo or whatever. All I care about is whether I need it right now. There definitely needs to be a control that will send any item to logistic trash slots. Make it happen, people.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

A way to do this without adding more commands and hence complexity, is to be able to pick up an item, and shift click on the trash slot, to transfer all items of that type to the trash.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Quizer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Quizer »

Ranakastrasz wrote:A way to do this without adding more commands and hence complexity, is to be able to pick up an item, and shift click on the trash slot, to transfer all items of that type to the trash.
That's still as laborious as the original unless you actually have to move a bunch of stacks of the same item. I think hovering over the item and pressing a key would be better. Easy enough to do in quick succession for several stacks, whether they are different items or the same.
Last edited by Quizer on Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

True enough, but it would be an improvement.

Alternatively, pick up a ghost item thinggy, then click on items to transfer one stack, or shift click for all stacks of the item. Then you can just go down the inventory and quick transfer.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Goof
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Goof »

Apologies for the necro, but this functionality is still a mess. Without coming to this thread a player's likely not going to realise it's only non-placables that can be shift - clicked to trash.

IMO, the more intuitive behaviour would be to treat each item equally. If you shift - click it, it moves to the hotbar / weapon / ammo slot if applicable. If those slots are full it moves to the trash slot. This will be very quick to learn, and would make cleaning out the inventory after a build session much, much less tedious.

Considering how long it take bots to come and clear out the player's trash slots, it's unlikely people will lose items like this. People will probably see it's in the wrong slot and simply shift - click it back out again before the bots arrive.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Return to “Not a bug”