So I updated (would love it if you fixed the updater sooner than later, please and thank you!) and settled in to give this a go while frequently pausing the game to note down my thoughts and reactions as they happen. I'm gonna TRY to approach things in a very basic "noobish" manner but I make no promises. Here we go then...
- Compilatron is adorable. I want one! ^.^
- So the second task, to mine stone and make a stone furnace... The list on the top left looks backwards. Since English is read from top to bottom, it seems like the first step is to craft the furnace, but that's actually the last step. I realize that it's an indented list with requirements on a lower level than the step that requires it, but it's counterintuitive. Compilatron wandering off and then giving the instructions on how to open the menu and craft rather than instructions on how to manually mine the stone doesn't help.
- And then for some reason, Compilatron highlights an area next to the stone patch for me to place the furnace when the next step is to make a burner mining drill. >.>
- Compilatron detecting that the drill was blocked and suggesting a chest is a nice touch.
- Put a new mining drill and furnace in the chest? I bet I can just use the ones I have, but I'll take advantage of what it's already "taught" me and start up some more iron plates to make the belts while I handcraft new stuff. ^.^
- WTF Compilatron destroyed my little setup! -.-
- Feeder? It's a loader. I know what it means, especially since Compi is standing right next to it, but still. Actually, since loaders aren't in Freeplay, should you really be using them at all? At the very least make these ones have the title "Tutorial Loader" or something.
- I feel like it's going to destroy my stuff again, so I don't wanna build too much while doing this 50 copper plate and 50 iron gear task. Luckily, I have lots of time today. ^w^
- What happens if I let 51 of something reach the loader? ... It gets eaten. >.<;
- Uh, the UI on the right side is borked after finishing that task. I think it might be because I have the Auto Research mod installed, though. ^.^;
- While waiting for this, I explored and found the other wreckage bit with solid fuel in it. That's kinda handy.
- Having to craft copper cable and electronic circuits with a machine surprised me but I'm not sure that a true noob would expect to hand-craft them.
- OMG electric inserters, how I have missed you. >^.^<
- Can't handcraft electronic circuits but I can handcraft a radar. Okay. >.>
- Oh hai thar Biters... Crap, I can't make bullets! >.<
- Getting the quickbar is super nice at this point but, you might have to explain how it works at least a little, donchya think? >.>
- Do be do, splitting belts with inserters and sideloading hijinks, whee?
- Not much else to say for a while. The Biters are becoming more obnoxious but this is a simple problem to solve.
- Nothing left to do but focus on the Biters while this researches. I could automate this but then I would have nothing to do at all. >^.^<
So yeah... Don't see the problem, to be honest. Well, I don't see the problem for veteran players, anywho. If you want to call yourself a veteran, you should be able to do at least this much. =^.^=
Noobies, I'm not so sure about. I would have to play it over again and check how the Biter attacks scale with pollution.