[planned] Get rid of the pausing modal windows

Suggestions relating to the Introduction and Campaign mode in Factorio
Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[planned] Get rid of the pausing modal windows

Post by Zaflis »

- Paused hints are not feeling helpful, in fact my triggerhappiness would not appreciate any pauses. You are iching to do as the hint says but you have to press Tab and then forget what it says. Too many hints in a same pause sequence to remember. No scrolling log provided to keep track of what's been said, it would help.
pause-menu.jpg
pause-menu.jpg (55.82 KiB) Viewed 1858 times
- You didn't teach shift or ctrl-clicking to loot items faster. I strongly believe that all the things that are in freeplay's tutorial button should be told in the tutorial campaign. The button-activated tutorial is good for a more compacted reminder.

- Crafting guide has the same problem. You instruct to hover mouse over an item but the game is grayed out for many instructions and you can't practise it along the instructions.

- With all these guides it would also help if you showed a bright rectangle around the area you discuss about. For example this stone furnace, "Raw materials are put in the top slot", could highlight the top slot. If it shows what inventory is, show rectangle around inventory etc.

- You might have player automate stone smelting with no less than electric drills and make wall on both sides before engaging the biters. It would possibly be more the way game is meant to be played. I had 0 stone miners and 1 turret when i said compilatron "ok the defence is ready"... :roll:

abregado
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [0.17.3] Introduction scenario notes

Post by abregado »

Zaflis wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:18 pm
- Paused hints are not feeling helpful, in fact my triggerhappiness would not appreciate any pauses. You are iching to do as the hint says but you have to press Tab and then forget what it says. Too many hints in a same pause sequence to remember. No scrolling log provided to keep track of what's been said, it would help.
Totally agree. These old pausing hints are ancient and will be going away when we have a better solution implemented. They cause me sadness
Zaflis wrote:
- You didn't teach shift or ctrl-clicking to loot items faster. I strongly believe that all the things that are in freeplay's tutorial button should be told in the tutorial campaign. The button-activated tutorial is good for a more compacted reminder.
It is there, but you must have used the control-click before Compilatron was to show you, then it didnt because it thought "this player already knows how to do that"

Zaflis wrote:
- Crafting guide has the same problem. You instruct to hover mouse over an item but the game is grayed out for many instructions and you can't practise it along the instructions.
Yep, again, super sadness. Its been changed so that you can hover things immediately after you press tab. Soon it will be better.

Zaflis wrote:
- With all these guides it would also help if you showed a bright rectangle around the area you discuss about. For example this stone furnace, "Raw materials are put in the top slot", could highlight the top slot. If it shows what inventory is, show rectangle around inventory etc.
This is the planned implementation. Highlight with floating text, no pausing. Player clicks the floating text away when they are done, and it can be resummoned at will.

Zaflis wrote:
- You might have player automate stone smelting with no less than electric drills and make wall on both sides before engaging the biters. It would possibly be more the way game is meant to be played. I had 0 stone miners and 1 turret when i said compilatron "ok the defence is ready"... :roll:
The attacks are all changed now. Let me know what you think of the new build up.

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [planned] Get rid of the pausing modal windows

Post by Zaflis »

It's much better now in terms of enemy progression, but they really start streaming in some point. Pollution was high up from the left side base and it never receded. Propably easy enough for a new player.

It would help having underground belts or splitters. It's difficult to do for example a simple thing like getting ammo over an iron belt when that's where they are manufactured, and you need them on left and right. So i can't automate defences without making dedicated smelting for everything.

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [planned] Get rid of the pausing modal windows

Post by Philip017 »

i found this forum posting when i was trying to figure out how to fix the tab pausing when you start a new freeplay map.
tab.jpg
tab.jpg (29.78 KiB) Viewed 1740 times
i don't remember this being an issue in 16 and previous, because it pasted the message in the console, which did not pause the game or require you to dismiss it.
as such i went on a mission to figure out what changed and is now giving me this hard time and i have to press tab at the start of the game every time now to get going.
not to mention the message can not be referred to later when it is displayed in this fashion, unlike when it is pasted in the console.
searching some i found a fix, it probably should be handled by the devs, but you can freely edit this as well.

in the file located at: ..\Factorio\data\base\scenarios\freeplay
called: control.lua
find the line that looks like this:
if not global.skip_intro then
if game.is_multiplayer() then
player.print({"msg-intro"})
else
game.show_message_dialog{text = {"msg-intro"}}
end
and you can simply comment out the game.show message function or have it print the message like it does for multiplayer.
example:
-- game.show_message_dialog{text = {"msg-intro"}}

I would prefer the devs to decide to not have the message pause the game and simply print the message to the console like it does in multiplayer.
please consider this in changes pertaining to this one in v17. thanks.

if there is a reference option to skipping the intro somewhere i cant find it. i also have the option to show tips and tricks turned off.
this message is in reference to 17.25

Return to “Campaign / Scenario suggestions”