Assemblers could implement `heat_buffer` to output Heat via Heat Pipe?

Things that we aren't going to implement
adamwong246
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Assemblers could implement `heat_buffer` to output Heat via Heat Pipe?

Post by adamwong246 »

It would be nice to have assemblers output heat as reactors do. https://wiki.factorio.com/Heat_pipe says this is not _currently_ possible. Investigations show that it's not possible to create an assembler with heat_buffer nor output heat via a heat-pipe from an assembler.

Code: Select all

local assemblingMachineEntity = table.deepcopy(data.raw["assembling-machine"]["assembling-machine-1"])
assemblingMachineEntity.item = "hot-garbage-assembling-machine"
assemblingMachineEntity.name = "hot-garbage-assembling-machine"
assemblingMachineEntity.heat_buffer =
{
  max_temperature = 100,
  specific_heat = "1MJ",
  max_transfer = "10MW",
  connections =
  {
    {
      position = {0, 0},
      direction = defines.direction.north
}
I would very much like more chances to use heat-pipes. I've been reading about their flow mechanics and it's something that would be fun to play with outside reactors and heat exchangers. For instance, what if every assembler create small amounts of waste-heat, too cold to be useful but which still needs to be channelled away from your machines?

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Assemblers could implement `heat_buffer` to output Heat via Heat Pipe?

Post by Xorimuth »

Have you seen https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Fantario ? It does something kind of similar, but you have to heat the assemblers instead of cooling them down :D
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

adamwong246
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by adamwong246 »

Yeah, I'm aware you can input heat into a assembler. But I want to output heat from assembler.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Sorry but this isn't going to be implemented. The only two entity types that generate heat are "reactor", "heat-interface". Making other entities able to generate heat is the same as making them able to generate any power form (electric, burner, fluid, heat) and is outside the scope of what the "assembling-machine" entity type is meant to do.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

You could probably make a 'composite entity' using scripting that listened for anytime someone places an assembler and places a heat interface as well? It would cost UPS, but it is quite common in modding.
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

Return to “Won't implement”