Allow mods to default custom presets

Things that we aren't going to implement
razahin
Inserter
Inserter

Allow mods to default custom presets

Post by razahin »

TL;DR
Allow custom settings when default flag is true on MapGenPreset. https://wiki.factorio.com/Types/MapGenPreset

What ?
Allow for custom settings when default flag is true, or automatically select the first MapGenPreset based on order when no default is present. It currently defaults to nothing selected.
Why ?
I'm creating a mod and have created a custom preset for map generation settings. It is my intention that these settings are how the mod should be played for player convenience. I am unable to set this as the default because the default setting doesn't allow for custom settings.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Allow mods to default custom presets

Post by sparr »

What should happen when two different mods do this?

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

They don't want you to change the default preset.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=61645
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=74286
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

+1

Map Gen Presets are part of the intended experience for overhaul mods and not being able to change the default settings seems very strange. Currently you just have hacks like in Space Exploration where it prints "You haven't selected the Space Exploration preset" in the console if you don't change off default.

If two mods both set their presets to default, then just choose one arbitrarily or refuse to load the game - mod collisions have rarely been a reason for not allowing a feature.
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

The proper way to do what you’re after is to modify the map generation prototypes to generate how you want. The “normal” tells the system to use the generation values from the prototypes. Those are the defaults. Those are what you need to be changing.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Wiwiweb
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Wiwiweb »

Rseding91 wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 12:22 am
The proper way to do what you’re after is to modify the map generation prototypes to generate how you want.
Directly changing the mapgen during load and ignoring the player settings would remove the choice aspect.

For an SE example, we want every "default" player who's getting into the mod without knowledge to play with lower biter evolution than vanilla's default, to compensate for the more spread-out upgrades.
But if people know what they're doing and want to play SE deathworld then we don't want to prevent that.

I guess we could "if evo value is at vanilla's default then set it to SE default" but that seems weird. It would also trick anyone who would actually want that specific evolution value.
Last edited by Wiwiweb on Mon May 30, 2022 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Wiwiweb wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 2:29 pm
Rseding91 wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 12:22 am
The proper way to do what you’re after is to modify the map generation prototypes to generate how you want.
Directly changing the mapgen prototype and ignoring the player settings would remove the choice aspect.
The player settings change the map gen prototype values. So when you change the map gen prototype values the player can still modify them using the settings in the GUI. That's how it's supposed to work.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Wiwiweb
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Wiwiweb »

Code: Select all

data.raw["map-settings"]["map-settings"].enemy_evolution = {
  enabled = true,
  time_factor =       0.000001,
  destroy_factor =    0.001,
  pollution_factor =  0.0000005
}
Indeed that works for enemy evolution! I didn't know updating this would affect the "Default" preset.

Is there any way to change the default values for autoplace_settings and property_expression_names too? The SE preset needs to change values in the "Terrain" tab to make the default Nauvis look different, while allowing people to customize their Nauvis.

Return to “Won't implement”