Container-prototype: allow SpriteVariations

Things that we aren't going to implement
tiriscef
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Container-prototype: allow SpriteVariations

Post by tiriscef »

Hey,

I would like to request to let the Container-Prototype use SpriteVariations, similar to the SimpleEntity-prototype.

My usecase: I have a container entity where I expect the player to place a larger amount of and that would look weird when every instance looks identical. So I would like to use more than one sprite.
(In this case I don't use the entity as a chest, but rather as a building and it's inventory as an interface for a scripted behaviour.)

This effect is also kind of visible in vanilla gameplay, where chests are often placed next to each other at train stations or belt buffers:

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Container-prototype: allow SpriteVariations

Post by Rseding91 »

Unless the base game decides to use graphics variations for containers this isn't going to happen. Making an entity support sprite variations means it needs to store the variation runtime + save/load it. That would add extra memory for every container entity runtime and increase save file sizes for every base game save file just for modding support of showing different pictures in chests.

That's not acceptable to me.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

tiriscef
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Container-prototype: allow SpriteVariations

Post by tiriscef »

Rseding91 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:37 am
Making an entity support sprite variations means it needs to store the variation runtime + save/load it.
Even if the entity has just a Sprite defined instead of a SpriteVariation? o.o

Return to “Won't implement”