Fluid box index on assembling machines

Things that we aren't going to implement
Adamo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Fluid box index on assembling machines

Post by Adamo »

Hi All,

in 17.61, it is no longer possible to place two input lines over top of each other. This was a trick I was using to make sure that index 2 (which is what is used by the oil processing recipes to input oil) was accessible to my one-input still building. I request that the system be enabled to allow us to set the fluid index on the input pipe connections, so I may tell my single input to be index 2 when a recipe assigns indices, or otherwise will be available for any recipe that has one fluid input without a specified index. Thanks for your consideration.

Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Fluid box index on assembling machines

Post by Therax »

This sounds like you should just be creating your own recipe, copied from the base game recipe as appropriate, with the fluidbox index as what you want it to be.
Miniloader — UPS-friendly 1x1 loaders
Bulk Rail Loaders — Rapid train loading and unloading
Beltlayer & Pipelayer — Route items and fluids freely underground

Adamo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adamo »

Therax wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:52 pm
This sounds like you should just be creating your own recipe, copied from the base game recipe as appropriate, with the fluidbox index as what you want it to be.
Adding yet another recipe to the already-busy recipe list seems like a bad solution to me.

Staplergun
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Staplergun »

Doesn't fluid box index technically associate with definition order?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

After looking at what your use case is I don't consider it valid and I agree you should just make a different recipe. Or just leave the player to use the base game refinery that's specifically designed to use that recipe.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Adamo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adamo »

Staplergun wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:42 pm
Doesn't fluid box index technically associate with definition order?
Yes. The problem comes in when a building has only one input, but tries to use a refinery recipe, because the oil input it set to input *2*, even in the case where there is only the one oil input.

Staplergun
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Staplergun »

Isn't there recipe groups? Just use a group to lock the crafting machine to so this won't happen.

Adamo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adamo »

Staplergun wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:05 am
Isn't there recipe groups? Just use a group to lock the crafting machine to so this won't happen.
Right, the building is set to use the oil-processing crafting category, which includes the basic-oil-processing recipe, which is the problematic one.

Adamo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adamo »

Rseding91 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:39 am
After looking at what your use case is I don't consider it valid and I agree you should just make a different recipe. Or just leave the player to use the base game refinery that's specifically designed to use that recipe.
The deeper problem is that by using fluidbox_index 2 on the basic oil processing input, without the ability to set an input fluid_box to prefer index two, or create a dummy fluid_box at index one hidden away behind the structure, this means that the basic oil processing recipe does not play well with any other oil-processing recipes that require a single input and are compatible with using the single-input assembing-machine. I get why you guys chose fluidbox_index 2, and using fluidbox_index 1 for any single inputs, instead of two, would solve this problem, but would be a base-breaking change. But it's not compatible with creating a smooth list of oil-processing recipes that extend the basic oil functionality. Maybe that's not a concern of yours, OK. It's not a huge matter, but it's something that prevents the more OCD among us from establishing a truly smooth extension over the existing functionality.

Incidentally, I found that by adding max_underground_length to the first input, I was able to create the two inputs I needed, with one "hidden". I implore you to please never remove this functionality. The ability to bring in more inputs using underground pipes is both legitimate and awesome. I even now based a new building around this idea.

Staplergun
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Staplergun »

Yes that's a thing. I have a pipe in my mod that uses this.

Return to “Won't implement”